E320 Repair help

Jim McKelvey

TVWBB All-Star
Hey gang....

So I spent a week last summer at a vacation home that had a Genesis with the stainless grates. I really liked the way that food cooked on the stainless and decided to bring my old 320 out of semi-retirement. Still works great – but one issue I am having is the assembly that connects the knobs to the burner tubes - basically regulating the LP - one is seized and another seems to be headed that way. Can someone advise what part this is and how to fix? I looked at the parts manual and couldn’t figure out exactly what was needed…

Thanks in advance – Jim

First do not force it. BTW it's the manifold. The gas valves can be taken apart, cleaned and relubed. Use a very tiny amount of high quality synthetic moly based lubricant.

Thanks LMichaels - unfortunately, I think we are passed that point. Once i broke the "seize" I think it was shredded, very loose and twisting past the point of no return. But it could be the knob that is abused. I'll have to look closer. Also, the moly lube - similar to regular grease i use on my mower (Amsoil)? I see on Grillparts that the manifold it is one piece for all three burners and it ain't cheap... Ugh. At least tell me it is easy to replace other than the awkward angles.....

It is easy to replace. Check the plastic knobs. You may have just broken the knob stem. But if you broke the valve internally than you have bigger issues. For the lube you can just go to the auto parts store and get some of the brake pin grease. It comes in little tiny packets, withstands tremendous heat, and that little packet can do about 150 grills ;-)

If you need to replace a part, a valve or the entire manifold, contact Weber parts with your model and serial number, and they will get you the parts you need.

Thanks for some of the tips above. I'm reviving this old thread as after looking at replacement options I think I'd rather rehab LOL. Firebox looks ok, though I need to look at more closely. Frame, lid and sideburner are all good. Ignition is shot, but don't really care, I just use a lighter. I already have updated the grates and the hose / regulator. Manifold, burners, knobs and flavorizor bars need replacing. I'm looking at about $175/200 in parts. The old burners and crossover are rusted and screws are rusted and this is really my only concern with the small project. I've seen online to just drill and tap out the old screws and replace with ss screws. My past experience says such things are never that easy...Anyone have suggestions / ideas on best way forward?

Jim if you're referring to the 2 screws that look as though they're holding the burners down do yourself a favor. DO NOT tough them. They're not there to do what you think.. The burners are held in with 2 thumb screws under the control panel on the right hand side of the fire box (assuming you have an older E/W style grill not the newer N/S style. The burners are removed by sliding them out to the right hand side.

Any screw that is not completely necessary to remove, I wouldn't remove. It leads to problems that are unnecessary and further modifications that in hindsight are completely unnecessary. There will be some filth and grime down there again in short order, so just take seriously screws you wish to remove. I'm just speaking from experience / mistakes.

Good luck!

Tim

Wow, thank you so much for the guidance! I took a peek under the control panel, so we are talking about the screws connecting each tube to the manifold?

No there are 2 screws with wingnuts that you see on the right hand side of the fire box under the control panel. They hold the manifold to the fire box. The manifold comes off and the burner tubes slide right out to the right hand side

Thanks, my manifold actually has standard nuts as opposed to wing nuts or thumb screws. Assume whoever put it together goofed. Good news is they are not at all rusted.... will be ordering the parts soon and post some before and afters!

QUOTE=LMichaels;759635]Jim if you're referring to the 2 screws that look as though they're holding the burners down do yourself a favor. DO NOT tough them. They're not there to do what you think.. The burners are held in with 2 thumb screws under the control panel on the right hand side of the fire box (assuming you have an older E/W style grill not the newer N/S style. The burners are removed by sliding them out to the right hand side.[/QUOTE]

Best advice ever!!! Big thanks to LMichaels and others - I've completed repairs and grill is working like the old days! I replaced the manifold and flavorizor bars too, but no pics. Super easy start to finish!

Back