Fried Pickles (copycat recipe)

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
http://theslowroasteditalian-printa.../02/hooters-fried-pickles-copycat-recipe.html

hooters-fried-pickles-copyc.gif

1 (16-oz) jar dill pickle slices
1 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
4 dashes hot sauce
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ tsp paprika
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp cayenne pepper
Neutral cooking oil, (peanut, vegetable, canola, etc)

Preheat about 2-inches of oil in a large (8 quart) pot to 350°F. Prepare a tray with double paper towel stack. Set aside.

In a medium bowl combine buttermilk, egg, and hot sauce. Beat with a fork to combine. Drain pickle juice from pickle jar, add pickles to buttermilk mixture. Stir to combine.

In a separate bowl whisk together flour, paprika, garlic powder and cayenne pepper.

Add about a handful of pickles to flour mixture. Swirl pickles around and make sure they are well coated. Shake off excess flour and drop pickles in hot oil one at a time. Only put 7-8 pickles at a time so the temperature does not drop too much.

Fry pickles for 3-5 minutes until they are golden brown. Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and drain on a tray lined with paper towels.

Serve and enjoy!

Cook's Note

Stir flour mixture between batches and pull out dough chunks to keep coating from getting chunky.

I had never tried a fried pickle until I had gone to Tony Packo's in Toledo, OH. I admit to eating two orders and enjoyed every bite. I will try making this recipe. Thanks Clint.

Back