Poor Pickling Pre Planning

GreggP

TVWBB Fan
I'm making Ruhlman's corned beef via two brisket flats. I plan on smoking/steaming one for pastrami, but that's not the point.

The recipe calls for a 3 day bath in the pickle. I just realized that my schedule will not allow me to remove it for ~10 days total.

Am I safe here, or do I need to pluck them from the briny deep and shove them in the freezer sooner? Was hoping to take one from the pickle and toss it onto the WSM next Friday...They've been in the bath since Tuesday.

I'm assuming it's already been in for 3 days: uncooked, pull it out now, get it drained and well-wrapped, you can freeze it up to a month with no flavour loss. Go for it :) Keep in mind it'll take a day or so to defrost (unless you defrost it in a water bath).

I'm assuming it's already been in for 3 days: uncooked, pull it out now, get it drained and well-wrapped, you can freeze it up to a month with no flavour loss. Go for it :) Keep in mind it'll take a day or so to defrost (unless you defrost it in a water bath).
So if it's still in the bath am I safe? What's the worst that can happen? Since it's cured, it's probably safe, but will it be too salty?

I would hazard a guess that it might be too salty.

I came across this on another site
brisket-brine-weight-increase.jpg

http://www.genuineideas.com/ArticlesIndex/wetvdrybrine.html
Notice weight gain is already leveling off at 5 days. Salt tends to migrate in more with extended times but I guess you won't know until you smoke it. Salt levels will level off once equilibrium is reached/can't absorb any more.

Found this http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/zen_of_brines.html which goes into a lot of detail about brining and salt and low heat cooking/smoking. I'm no expert and hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. This is just my opinion and as you know, everyone has one.

I guess when all is said and done, you could just: soak and rinse and smoke OR just smoke it and learn from your experience.

Back