Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sous Vide Setup

TVWBB Fan
    Sweet. I have a separate controller I use for sous vide (my old BBQ one no less) but this is interesting.. only thing I love about it is that it's set and forget.. trigger the PID auto learn and walk away.

my old one: http://www.ice8420.com/blog/2012/01/...-tun-whatever/

TVWBB Member
    Great setup. Does the SSR just control the power going into the crock pot and you keep the crock pot setting on warm, low or high?

I wish I could test the hot spot theory with some work equipment. I was thinking you could easily build a "lid" with various holes in it and drop various length TC's all around. Cycle the temp a few times and see how it responds.
    Last edited by MKader; 03-08-2016 at 07:31 AM.

Looks great Will. I love printing stuff in white as well, it always comes out looking brilliant. Do you have the files up on thingiverse yet?
    Creator of the MicroDamper - first inline and linear damper
    Blackstone Posse :: KCBS Member

TVWBB Pro
    Don't have files up to thingiverse yet. Will try to get them up this Arvo. I cranked it up last night with some different PID settings (10, 0.007, 16) and it's running much better. Almost no overshoot at startup, and quick recovery with no overshoot when temp drops with the addition of food. I'm happy. I still have it running now, and I'll let it run the next 10 hours or so while I'm at work. You can see it here. The blip in the middle is where I added a cold potato to test temp recovery.

beggbq.servebeer.com/

Graph is looking good Begg. I'm glad you brought up the sous vide thread as I had completely forgotten about this capability for the HeaterMeter. I was scrounging amazon today thinking about purchasing parts to build a custom tub with heater and the works but then decided maybe I could find a crockpot for cheap. I stumbled upon Sears/Kmart having an 8-qt model for just $25 so I thought I should share with the community: http://www.sears.com/hamilton-beach-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

For reference, what size slow cooker are you using with those PID values?
    Creator of the MicroDamper - first inline and linear damper
    Blackstone Posse :: KCBS Member

TVWBB Member
    I think I may try it out as well with HM.....but I wouldn't trust myself with DIY 1500w/15A SSR wiring...I like my house warm, not burnt I found this device which looks like it would work off the servo wiring in HM....does HM have servo full on/off only mode? Adafruit also has a huge page on a sample project (also you can learn about PID there as well!)

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCK View Post

For reference, what size slow cooker are you using with those PID values?
    Not sure off the top of my head, but looks about the same size as the one you linked.

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidNP View Post
    I think I may try it out as well with HM.....but I wouldn't trust myself with DIY 1500w/15A SSR wiring...I like my house warm, not burnt I found this device which looks like it would work off the servo wiring in HM....does HM have servo full on/off only mode? Adafruit also has a huge page on a sample project (also you can learn about PID there as well!)
    That's a nice little unit, but $25 is a bit steep considering you can get an SSR for about $5, and that's probably what's inside that unit anyway.

Why run off servo? That unit can take a 12v control input, so why not run it off the fan output of the HM?
    Last edited by WBegg; 03-08-2016 at 07:41 PM.

TVWBB Pro
    Also, the servo receives pulses from the HM for it's position, so it's not set up to turn things on and off.

TVWBB Member
    Hmm, I like the idea of hooking the fan output up to a relay switch that turns on and off a crockpot as it maintains the set temp. I've got some cheap ebay find digital temp controller that I have used in the past for that, but my Heatermeter would give me a pretty graph. I might have to wire that up.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast