18 or 22, I'm struggling.

Bruno

TVWBB Honor Circle
I want to order up a WSM and start practicing for summer. I've smoked so far on a OTG with a smokenator.
I can afford a 22, I'm just wondering how much more charcoal it uses and what the advantages are.
We are a family of 4 and at most would cook for 8-10.
I don't want to regret either purchase.
Any advice would be great.

Do you guys find the 22 easy enough to keep around 225? I'm hearing they run hot.
How much more charcoal do they use?

My 22 is new and only have two overnight cooks under my belt. No worries, no atc, and ran 225-230 for 12 hours with hardly any tending to.

8-10 can be fed on a 18. It just depends on what your going to cook, and how you want to arrange it on the grates. Ribs would probably be the most challenging to do 8-10 people on a 18". They take up a lot of room for the amount of meat that is there. A rib rack would help a bunch.

I usually load my 18 up with coal and wood. Put 20 lit coals on the pile. Add the hot water to the pan, put the food on, set the vents and go to bed. What happens between then and when I wake up, I couldn't tell ya, but its usually holding around 225-250 degrees when I wake up.

Last edited:
Buy the big one. You don't have to use the space, but it is hard to find more space on the smaller ones.

The large WSM hold low temps just fine. They tend to run a little hotter when they are new because of all the shinny finish on the inside. A few cooks will take care of that. Besides your meat isn't going to care all that much about temps that not at exactly 225.

I had same struggle. 18 came from Amazon with a bent lid so I sent it back after seeing the size and the brisket I had Realized I really wanted the bigger one. Picked up the 22 the next day and do not regret it. We are a family of 4 as well. I did 4 whole chickens cut into halves and two dozen legs the other night. No room on top for the legs had to put them on bottom rack. Temps were a lot cooler than I wanted but they turned out great.

That's a tough one. I've had an 18.5 for several years and love it. But a couple of years ago I began cooking ribs more and more, for family events and large gatherings. I didn't like having to cram them in the 18.5 so I bought the 22.5. I love the room it has. I can lay several racks of ribs flat. There is plenty of room for big briskets with no problem, lots of chicken wings, etc. But, obviously, it uses more charcoal. I can't say exactly how much, but it is significant. Now, I often find myself trying to use the 18.5 for as much as I can, to keep from having to fire up the big boy. Basically, the 22.5 is my large gatherings cooker, and the 18.5 is for everything else. If I could only have one of the smokers, I'd say I would take the 18.5. Most of the time, I'm cooking for my family of 4. Firing up the 22.5 for a boston butt or a couple of chickens just seems like a waste to me.

I had an 18 and sold it for the 22 and don't regret that one bit. I love the size of the 22 and feel it is perfect for me as I tend to do a lot of brisket and rib cooks and don't like to shoehorn the brisket in or cut up my ribs. It does use more fuel, but I usually purchase all my charcoal during the buy one get one free sales and stock up for the year so charcoal is cheap to me. I would go for the 22.

It all comes to what you cook and how much of it.

Ribs and brisket? 22 model, no doubt, not even a close comparison
Butts, tenderloins, smaller cuts? 18 should do fine

I used to own an 18, but found myself cooking ribs and brisket so often, that I had to upgrade. The 22 of course def uses more fuel, but that's to be expected. Also, if you get a 22, be sure to get a gasket kit for it, at minimum. I recommend a hinge+gasket combo kit for all WSM owners, but the 22 loves to soar in temperature, so you wanna seal it up as best you can.

Good luck!

I used to own an 18, but found myself cooking ribs and brisket so often, that I had to upgrade. The 22 of course def uses more fuel, but that's to be expected. Also, if you get a 22, be sure to get a gasket kit for it, at minimum. I recommend a hinge+gasket combo kit for all WSM owners, but the 22 loves to soar in temperature, so you wanna seal it up as best you can.

Good luck!

I think Nick hit the nail on the head right here. I normally smoke brisket or beef ribs, with occasional spare ribs. So, of course, I went with the 22.5. Just started it up for the first time last night, and was pleasantly surprised. I think I'm gonna love it. Personally, I can't see buying an 18, when the 22 is out there, and you don't mind spending the extra $100.

Good luck!

I think Nick's point is spot on. I have all three sized WSM and the 22 is best for brisket and ribs flat (personally I'm not a fan of ribs in a rack). I use the 14 for everything else. The 18 was the last one I bought and I often wonder why I did since it is the dust collector, though I use the 18 coal ring a lot in the 22 (expensive coal ring).

Thanks for all the responses. I probably only need an 18 for 95% of what I'm looking to do, but the 22 is calling my name.
I also buy charcoal in bulk on Memorial Day and the 4th of July so it should be fine.
Really looking forward to doing a pork butt.

Thanks for all the responses. I probably only need an 18 for 95% of what I'm looking to do, but the 22 is calling my name.
I also buy charcoal in bulk on Memorial Day and the 4th of July so it should be fine.

You won't regret the 22, I was in the same situation month or 2 ago, and after that first cook I was delighted with my decision - do-et!!!

Yep, you will regret not getting the 22 the first time you do ribs or a brisket.

Yep, you will regret not getting the 22 the first time you do ribs or a brisket.

I regretted it before the 18 got home. I tried to cancel the order but it shipped already, luckily it was damaged and lucky me I found a Open box 22 in town, saved me from having to put it together and they took $25 off the price. I plan on ordering a smaller ring soon.

Thanks again. I've settled on the 22. I'll be ordering it in a couple weeks. I'll have enough points from my Amazon card it'll be "free"! Ha, if only the wife saw it that way.
Now what to cook on my first run? Probably go with a pork shoulder or baby back ribs. Decisions, decisions!

Back