Who still has a Char Q and loves it?? (besides me)

Adam D E

I've owned a Char Q since the early 2000's but I never even used it until the summer before last. It was a birthday gift from my mother and to be honest I didn't know what to think of it. I grew up being familiar with the Weber kettles but this thing was just strange looking, almost like cheap imported garbage. So I shoved it in the shed and continued to use our beat up gas grills over the years. Well 3 summers ago I went to my now wife's family camp and dragged out a rusted out old kettle from under the deck with the legs rotted right off it and proceeded to scrub it down and prop it up on a cement block and fire it up so we could have dinner. Well that was one of the best burgers I'd had in a long time. I had forgotten how much better cooking over charcoal was! Well once I had the opportunity I went to moms and pulled the Char Q out of the shed and put it into service. First cook was some burgers and the outside was charred and inside was still raw. Right then I realized exactly how close the coals were to the grate. Seemed my initial response was correct. Back in the shed it went. Well I've come a long ways with my grilling techniques and experience and now I love that grill. Char is the right name for it! When I want to really put a nice sear on steaks or burgers, or cook some crispy chicken wings it's my go to grill. It uses VERY little charcoal and you can get intense heat in those beautifully heavy grates. You just need to cook indirectly when you have anything with some thickness to it. No biggie, I appreciate challenges. So I own one, and I love it. I have to believe I'm not alone!

It has been my most used grill over the past 8 years or so. Quick to start, uses less fuel and has nearly the same capacity of a kettle. Plus it's portable. Two zone cooking is a must, but the results are fantastic

I never knew they existed until this post. I am now in search of one of these if for nothing else, the coolness and unique factor is out of this world!! Just wondering what size is the body? Is it the q-200 or 300 body size?
The hunt has begun!!
Tim

Did it is a q220, does it still have the gaps on the sides where the folding side tables folded in when not in use? The pics I have seen look like there are not gape on the side? Thinking of possibly finding a cheap q200 on Craig's list and transforming it.
Thanks,
Tim

I would not. First the venting is wrong and second I don't think the gas Q can take the heat of charcoal especially the more intense heat of natural lump (which IMO) is the ONLY type that food should be cooked over. Unless the flavor of mastics and petroleum is attractive

I just texted with a gentleman who has one on craigslist near me. Going to pick it up in a bit, $50. Trying to downsize all of my grills as the swmbo and I are close to being empty nesters and I seem to be cooking for only the two of us a lot more lately.

Did it is a q220, does it still have the gaps on the sides where the folding side tables folded in when not in use? The pics I have seen look like there are not gape on the side? Thinking of possibly finding a cheap q200 on Craig's list and transforming it.
Thanks,
Tim
Thanks,
Tim

Here's a few pic's of mine as well as last nights dinner. A bit banged up but still going strong. The char-q did not come with side tables nor did they market them as an accessory. At a weber demo in april I asked the rep if any of the gas models were the same size and if their tables would fit. He told me 200 Series and better yet took my contact info and they were shipped to my house two days later at no charge. Awesome! Thanks Dennis. Was the one missing piece to the puzzle, even if they only hold a beer half the time.

Nice. I like design that allows the lid to seal completely. The open sides of the gas models are troublesome at times and also allow all the greasy smoke to make a mess on the sides and tables.

I just texted with a gentleman who has one on craigslist near me. Going to pick it up in a bit, $50. Trying to downsize all of my grills as the swmbo and I are close to being empty nesters and I seem to be cooking for only the two of us a lot more lately.

Tom, did you end up getting the Char-Q? If so, what do you think?

There is one for sale in Houston on CL for $75. Looks interesting but I think $75 is a bit much, and I still need to season my SJS a little more.

Here's a few pic's of mine as well as last nights dinner. A bit banged up but still going strong. The char-q did not come with side tables nor did they market them as an accessory. At a weber demo in april I asked the rep if any of the gas models were the same size and if their tables would fit. He told me 200 Series and better yet took my contact info and they were shipped to my house two days later at no charge. Awesome! Thanks Dennis. Was the one missing piece to the puzzle, even if they only hold a beer half the time.

where did you get the charcoal base / bottom?

What George said Anthony. However, I don't believe that weber still stocks parts for the char-q. I could use a replacement charcoal rack as well, original probably only has a few years of production left.

Back