No Gas Beans

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Found out about this and wanted to share. It actually works and gets rid of gas issues from bean dishes.

Put your dried Beans in water the day before to soak. Before you go to bed pour out the beans into a colander and rinse them and clean your pot then fill two inches above them and let sit overnight.
The next day empty, rinse and clean your pot, then put new water in and boil your beans for fifteen minutes. Drain in a colander, rinse, clean your pot and do this two more times.
Then cook as you normally would.
Beans, no gas. It eliminates 90% of the type of sugars that our stomachs cannot digest causing gas. It actually works.

Bill,
I rinse a few times, soak overnight, or for at least a few hours, then rinse well again, and that always seems to rid them of "gas"
But I've never added salt to the soak water as recommended by Cooks Illustrated and mentioned in today's food section.
Not sure if the salt would change the "gas" removal process though.

"There has been a long debate about whether to soak beans before cooking them. The main reason for the pre-soak is to speed up the cooking time. And a pre-soak does indeed do that, by about 30 minutes. But Cook’s Illustrated magazine has uncovered an even better reason. If you soak beans in salted water overnight, they not only absorb some of the salt (which seasons them), they also come out more tender. For years we were all told that salt made beans tough, but it’s quite the contrary. So I recommend a pre-soak in salted water."

http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/...cle_88f4f23c-3604-556c-b844-5001fca586d9.html

Back