More room for ash 14.5

Dustin Flavell

TVWBB Pro
So it has been well documented that for long cooks due to the internal heat shield the 14.5 fills up with ashamed hinders the coals. I've seen where you can add tabs to raise the the charcoal grate or just remove the heat shield all together. I decided to go a different approach and make the heat shield external like the 18 and 22 WSM.

I found these in my drawers of miscellaneous nuts and bolts. Drilled a 1/4" hole in each leg 1 1/4" up from the bowl. I added a nut on each side to tighten and that's it.

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
That's a good idea. I just set mine on the table underneath the cooker, but that's going to change.
The 14.5 definitely needs the heat shield as the charcoal bowl is so close to ground zero.

Thanks Robert. I liked it too since the little guy now has one that matches big brother and middle brothers external heat shield

That's a great mod !
Also a low ash briquette like Stubbs would be benefit in the 14.5 and the mini.

Great Idea! I didn't really know that was an internal heat shield, I thought maybe it was so that the bottom would last longer. I've been concerned about room for ash also. I'm moving mine to the outside, I like it!

Good idea. I'm going to put the heat shield at the bottom now. And I have the bbq mat from home depot so I think that holds the heat as well.

So no water pan is not going to effect my cook? And the bbq iq will still keep the temps at 225?

I'm no pit master, but to maintain temps that low requires reducing the air intake valves. The 14.5" WSM is very easy to heat up, so a more experienced person should guide you here concerning valve adjustment.

I never thought of a mason jar ring. I might do that. I do have a bbq mat from Home Depot which seems to hold the heat well. Or I could just put my cooker downstairs on the concrete for all my cooks. That would probably solve everything. And then put the heat shield below. So we had a torrential rain and thunderstorm that almost ruined my cook on Saturday. I put the 5.58 pound brisket in at 4:30pm and it came at 1:30. Fortunately, at 1:30 I had just gotten through the stall time and was at 180 so I ran it into my apartment, wrapped, put it in the oven to 203. It turned out awesome. And had we not had that horrible storm I can't even imagine how much better it would have been. So now I am going to research a canopy or something to help out with cooks in the rain. So weber briquettes are the way to go on long cooks. I didn't get to try because of the rain storm. But I have a feeling they will give me 20 hours or more. They're the best. So kingsford blue is the best 4-12 hour cooks. Anything about that you need weber. It's a lot more expensive for weber so that won't be my everyday charcoal. For steams I recommend kingsford professional. It doesn't last nearly as long but perfect for searing a steak at the end. I made one Saturday and it was awesome.

Due to the amount of heat generated by the 14.5" WSM (and it's close proximity to the ground), I use the heat shield on my concrete surfaces just in case the heat buckles the concrete.

Last edited:
I know this thread is 6 years old but hoping someone can chime in. How is the bottom of the WSM 14 holding up without the heat deflector inside? My concern is that the metal could deteriorate faster without the heat shield in place.

I removed the heat shield 1.5 Years ago and so far so good.

Remember, a regular kettle has charcoal on the charcoal grate which is right above the bottom of the kettle and there is no heat deflector. A kettle will last 20+ years if kept clean.

No problems here. I use the little guy the most of the WSM I own and have not had any issues with the bottom. Like @JWorden said keep it cleaned out! And keep moisture out of the bottom and you’ll easily get 20+years.

Any ideas for a metal platform / base when using the 14 inch WSM on a wooden surface? Large pizza pan, etc?

Back