Weber coffee roaster

Philip Madden

TVWBB Member
When Weber introduced the fine mesh rotisserie basket in Europe, they talked about using it for popcorn, fries, and root vegetables... but I saw it as a coffee roaster. I was about to MacGyver together something to roast coffee, but this was cheaper and a bit more professional looking. It's also a lot cheaper than all the SS drums people are buying for coffee roasting. But does it work?

After several kilos of coffee beans I can say that the Weber fine mesh basket is a fantastic coffee roaster! You can probably fit 2kg (4 1/2lbs.) of green beans in there, but I do 1kg at a time. The basket has two paddle like features that keep the beans churning rather than just sliding around. The only hard part is having the right fire for your choice of fuel. You need a bunch of heat under the beans.

It's pretty simple and quick to roast your own beans so I highly recommend it.

When I last looked you could order the fine mesh basket from Amazon Germany and get it shipped to the US for under $70 in total. Search for "Weber rotisserie" and you'll come across it.

Last edited:
Well first crack should start between 7-12 minutes (depends on fuel source/setup). I stop before second crack begins so the beans are roasted in total about 16-20 minutes.

That should reveal some great flavour, never done it myself but my friend does and it's the best coffee ever

What's great is that you can add a new layer of flavor depending on your charcoal choice. Coconut briquettes for neutral flavor, good lump for a slight smokey note. If it stays subtle, wood smoke can be wonderful in coffee!

Is this basket an exact fit with the kettle rotisserie spit, 5/16"? Would it fit on a slightly larger 3/8" spit?

I'm asking because I'd like to use it on my Genesis E310, and 3rd party spits are 3/8"

Inspired by this post, I stalked the amazon.de page till it was in stock again....

nFuQJHq.jpg

nice! It looks like its working. Getting enough heat? I've been loving roasting coffee with this basket on my OTP. I wrote a blog post about it but we're not supposed to promote (link) to things like that on TVWBB.

Is this basket an exact fit with the kettle rotisserie spit, 5/16"? Would it fit on a slightly larger 3/8" spit?

I'm asking because I'd like to use it on my Genesis E310, and 3rd party spits are 3/8"

I took my digital calipers to the basket. It looks like the diameter of the mounting sleeve is 13.91mm (0.5475"). You'll have to do the math yourself to see what square cross-section will fit in that diameter. It is definitely not a snug fit on my weber kettle spit. There is room for a larger spit, but how big... I don't know.

nice! It looks like its working. Getting enough heat? I've been loving roasting coffee with this basket on my OTP. I wrote a blog post about it but we're not supposed to promote (link) to things like that on TVWBB.

Yup, I'm only using 2 of the 3 burners, and I can get it up to 450 degrees F. First crack happens in about 10 minutes with 1/2 pound.

I want to try hooking it up to a drill in order to reach 60 RPM, instead of the 2.5 RPM of the weber motor.

I took my digital calipers to the basket. It looks like the diameter of the mounting sleeve is 13.91mm (0.5475"). You'll have to do the math yourself to see what square cross-section will fit in that diameter. It is definitely not a snug fit on my weber kettle spit. There is room for a larger spit, but how big... I don't know.

I'm the one who asked the question, and ended up getting the Weber made kit for Genesis grills. It comes with a 5/16" spit. On another forum, someone said a 3/8" square spit would fit with the basket

Last edited:
I'm the one who asked the question, and ended up getting the Weber made kit for Genesis grills. It comes with a 5/16" spit. On another forum, someone said a 3/8" square spit would fit with the basket

Ha! I should probably pay more attention. Glad you found your answer and bought the basket. Happy roasting!

Back