Mustard Jalapeno & Kimchi ketchup sauces

Brian Dahl

TVWBB Gold Member
as requested by Miss Barb D. From my Super Bowl Rib Post

The mustard Jalapeno is from Steven Raichlen's "Sauces, Rubs and Marinades." and the correct title is: Firehouse Jack's Mustard Sauce.

3/4 C distilled white vinegar
1/2 C beef or chicken broth
1/2 C finely chopped onion
1/4 C seeded, minced Jalapeno
1/2 C Dijon mustard
1/4 C brown, deli style mustard
1/4 C corn syrup
2 T molasses
1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
1/2 t coarse salt
1/4 t cayenne pepper

Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, until thick and richly flavored, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust (more salt or sugar). Cool and use, or refrigerate. "This sauce will keep for a couple of months."

My notes: next time I will reduce longer than the 15 minutes I went - I could see easily going a half hour. And I would add a little more Jalapeno. The mustard/sweet balance was good.

The Kimchi sauce was from the internet/Serious Eats and was by Daniel Gritzer: Korean Kimchi Barbecue Sauce

2 C Kimchi w/ juices
1/2 medium yellow onion, rough chop
8 cloves of garlic
1 1/2" knob of fresh, peeled ginger

In a blender, combine the above and puree, adding a little water if needed to help.
Into a saucepan, adding

1 C ketchup
1/2 C rice vinegar
2 T Gochujang (Korean chili paste)
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 t molasses

bring up to and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened and flavors have combined - about 10 minutes. Add salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste.

My notes: my Kimchi was old & pungent! I don't think I would change anything - it is a stinky good sauce. Both are keeper recipes for me!

Last edited:
Good stuff Brian, my bride gave me "Steven Raichlen's "Sauces, Rubs and Marinades" for Christmas. I now have 3 of his books. My "How to Grill" is 20+ years old and falling apart at the seams

Back