Weber Genesis 2000 Restoration

JohnWunrow

Completed my first vintage gasser restoration this past summer. This grill was pretty thrashed. Rotten slats, very dirty, looks to have spent its entire life outside uncovered. Good bones though and it fired right up so I decided to give it a new life. Deep cleaning inside, fresh paint on the frame and box. Swapped in a green lid that I had, the original black one was pretty faded. Made new slats for it, used select pine. They turned out ok, golden oak stain followed by spar varnish. Cut a new handle, cut some grooves in it and added some new wheels to give it a nice look. Ended up selling it on but it should provide the new owner years of enjoyment. Have another 2000 and a 3000 out back that will be getting similar treatment this spring. Can't wait for the warm weather!!

Last edited:
Enough to buy more grills to fix up! I enjoy doing the restorations, gets me out of the house and in the garage.

Very nice restoration somebody got a real nice grill. I've done a few myself, Silver B's and 1000s and sold them. Like you I enjoy doing it and they pay their own way as far as costs go. Easy to get parts for and also pretty easy to work on.

Enough to buy more grills to fix up! I enjoy doing the restorations, gets me out of the house and in the garage.
Just curious what kind of investment you have in a typical restore? I never would have guessed you'd part with that beauty, but it sounds like you're selling them pretty good? I would figure at least 10 hours work and at least $25 (depending how much internals you have to replace) You start replacing burners, flavor bars, grates, etc and your costs could easily be > $100

Just curious what kind of investment you have in a typical restore? I never would have guessed you'd part with that beauty, but it sounds like you're selling them pretty good? I would figure at least 10 hours work and at least $25 (depending how much internals you have to replace) You start replacing burners, flavor bars, grates, etc and your costs could easily be > $100

Chuck, I can't speak for John but the ones I've done I've picked up for $25-40. I look for ones with all the parts present and because I do the silvers and 100s they are for the most part very robust simple grills.
Grates and burners bars and the frame need to be in good shape, flavorizer bars aren't an issue as they're cheap enough. The other parts if needed aren't hard to find or very expensive. I usually get away with around $75-80 invested including the grill. 10 -15 hours repair, paint and clean up.
List them on CL and I sell them for $100-135 depending on my costs. The longest it took me to sell one was 10 days, most sell in a day or two. Funny is that most of the people who buy one had one previously and regretted getting rid of it.

Thanks for all your kind comments! Rich nailed it. Pretty much mirrors my experience exactly.

For the most part, a person isn't going to get rich refurb'ing Gennys unless you stumble across one in mint condition that the owner just wants to get rid of. I.e. $50 or less for one that just needs a decent cleaning. It's much more about the "hobby" as John said. Lots of the ones I have done have gone to friends and family members who were looking for good grills and didn't want to spend a fortune. They cover the costs, I donate the time as they are friends or family.

For the most part, a person isn't going to get rich refurb'ing Gennys unless you stumble across one in mint condition that the owner just wants to get rid of. I.e. $50 or less for one that just needs a decent cleaning. It's much more about the "hobby" as John said. Lots of the ones I have done have gone to friends and family members who were looking for good grills and didn't want to spend a fortune. They cover the costs, I donate the time as they are friends or family.

My first one a few weeks ago (2004 Silver B with tank) was the $50 decent cleaning one. After flavorizers, an igniter, and a good cleaning I had the best grill I have ever owned. I think it looks cool and the whole experience was fun and really quite simple. I knew I had to do it again. I plan on fixing one and taking it to work, giving one to my sister, donating one to a Paradise Camp Fire survivor (they lost their green head Silver B), and after that I have no idea.

Side note: I took a BBQ class at Harry Soo's house in Diamond Bar, CA. Harry is a super cool guy and he believes that the world needs waaayyy more love. He says to spread love and to put love into your BBQ for others. If someone wants a grill I will fix one and give it to them. Think of the love that they will then share with their friends and family. Maybe a bit "far out" to some but hey I am from California. The truth is Harry is absolutely correct. I plan on doing my part as one human making the world better, one grill at a time lol!!!

Happy New Year and thank you all for sharing your Weber love with me.

My first one a few weeks ago (2004 Silver B with tank) was the $50 decent cleaning one. After flavorizers, an igniter, and a good cleaning I had the best grill I have ever owned. I think it looks cool and the whole experience was fun and really quite simple. I knew I had to do it again. I plan on fixing one and taking it to work, giving one to my sister, donating one to a Paradise Camp Fire survivor (they lost their green head Silver B), and after that I have no idea.

Side note: I took a BBQ class at Harry Soo's house in Diamond Bar, CA. Harry is a super cool guy and he believes that the world needs waaayyy more love. He says to spread love and to put love into your BBQ for others. If someone wants a grill I will fix one and give it to them. Think of the love that they will then share with their friends and family. Maybe a bit "far out" to some but hey I am from California. The truth is Harry is absolutely correct. I plan on doing my part as one human making the world better, one grill at a time lol!!!

Happy New Year and thank you all for sharing your Weber love with me.

Fred,
I don’t think that is crazy at all. Sharing with someone who can really use a nice Weber and enjoying the creative part is definitely a way to enjoy this hobby. Everyone has to keep their budget in mind, and sometimes I have messed up there. A couple Summit disasters and too many projects stacked up in my yard are proof of that:eek:! Still, I cherish the times I was able to share love and kindness through Weber grill restorations.

Since you are new to TVWBB, I hope you won’t mind me digging up a long post from last Christmas that goes along with what you shared:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?72755-A-Christmas-Story-with-a-Weber-flair

Yep just last summer bought and refurbed a little Silver A for a good friend. He's a pastor and does so much for our local YFC (Youth For Christ) and Prison ministry plus a whole lot of other things. One day after I had brought some BBQ I made to our weekly pot luck study group he mentioned they'd like to save up for a grill. Boom seed was planted and I went to work. He loves it

Fred,
I don’t think that is crazy at all. Sharing with someone who can really use a nice Weber and enjoying the creative part is definitely a way to enjoy this hobby. Everyone has to keep their budget in mind, and sometimes I have messed up there. A couple Summit disasters and too many projects stacked up in my yard are proof of that:eek:! Still, I cherish the times I was able to share love and kindness through Weber grill restorations.

Since you are new to TVWBB, I hope you won’t mind me digging up a long post from last Christmas that goes along with what you shared:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?72755-A-Christmas-Story-with-a-Weber-flair

I absolutely love this and thank you for digging up that post. When I get some more time I am going to go back to post #1 and work my way forward. Gems like that can be missed. I plan on doing exactly this type of thing. The grills are cheap to find and cheap to fix (relatively). But to give someone such an awesome gift is just fantastic! I can't wait for some longer days and some warmer weather.

Yep just last summer bought and refurbed a little Silver A for a good friend. He's a pastor and does so much for our local YFC (Youth For Christ) and Prison ministry plus a whole lot of other things. One day after I had brought some BBQ I made to our weekly pot luck study group he mentioned they'd like to save up for a grill. Boom seed was planted and I went to work. He loves it

Well God Bless you sir ! And thank you once again for your help today. The more posts I read like this the more I feel I have really stumbled on to something awesome. If you ever do any other BBQ related things for your Church and you need anything please let me know.

Thanks Fred, the guy's a good friend one I have made later in life and my other local friends have either moved away (next door neighbor great friend transferred to MI by GM because they didn't want him doing remote IT support. Management said either your butt sits in an office or find another job. So they moved, my other friends in the area here from earlier days all passed away (sadly either by their own hand or thanks to the big C). So it is good to have a new group from our church small group we formed. Anyway I appreciate the offer. Once I find a box to house the burner parts I will touch base with how much to ship the stuff out your way

Does everyone realize this was a 2 year old thread? No big deal, just sayin'.

Back