Grilled beets recipes

Good grief I hope Barb doesn't see this, she loves beets, my feeling is not so much. Although I do use beet juice in my pickled egg recipe. That's as close as I want to get to them.

Don't read this Barb!!

Love me some pickled beets!
Jo's mom made wonderful pickled beets.
She also made a rhubarb/strawberry/custard pie each spring just for me.
A true second mom, dearly missed.

Thanks for the link for the beets.
This will come in handy this summer when our farmshare passes along many, many beets, and my spouse wonders what to do with them besides pickle them.

I love them just grilled direct with a little oil just long enough to get grill marks then indirect to soften up a bit but they gotta be homegrown or from a farmers market. The ones from the grocery store just don't cut it.

Bob, some of those recipes are awesome. Yes I love beets and that pie sounds very interesting also.

When I was a kid, beets were pretty much the only vegetable I would eat! I still love them, come season, I will be grilling them for our weekly family dinner a few times anyway!

I just tried some grilled beets this weekend. I didn't find the initial link much good, why buy pre cooked vegetables and then grill them?
I scrubbed and quartered a bowlful tossed with salt and pepper and some decent EVOO, grilled about an hour and they were all very well received! I have converted a non beet eater with it, I did the same thing to her with Brussels sprouts, and cauliflower! Next time I will grill them a little longer, maybe put them on at the same time as a 6 lb. chicken. I want more right now!

Love grilled beets. Great in salad also. One of Weber's books has a fantastic recipe for arugula salad with grilled beets.

i actually just grilled some beets myself for the first time on tuesday.

wrapped them in foil, grilled direct until soft, and then took them off and rubbed the skins off. sliced them up and threw them on the grates for a few minutes to get some char.

turned out excellent. tossed with some grilled shrimp, grilled shisito peppers, toasted pecans, red wine vinegar and sesame chili oil for lunch.

I simply scrub them (hard) not peeling anymore, just additional fiber, right?
I do the simple route,
Scrub, quarter, toss with some salt, pepper, EVOO.
Toss them right on, no foil, no big effort.
Last week, indirect whole chicken, beets on the side, finished the last stretch with some asparagus on the other end, the beets converted a "I hate beets" person! I almost dropped a whole handful of mashed potatoes and gravy!

Don't read this Barb!!

Love me some pickled beets!
Jo's mom made wonderful pickled beets.
She also made a rhubarb/strawberry/custard pie each spring just for me.
A true second mom, dearly missed.

I feel the same way about my mother in law- she was a peach and a real good cook and she loved to feed a guy who liked to eat. .I miss her every day.
Funny story : the first time I ever sat at my future mother in laws table (I think it was Sunday dinner....ham) she had a big bowl of sliced beets there on the table. I was trying hard to make a good impression and not be marked down as a picky eater (which I kinda am) She already knew I wasn't much of a green veg fan and that made her roll her eyes . So I was glad to see beets there because I grew up loving them so I took some and shoveled in a big mouthful......
well. I had never experienced pickled beets....my family prepared them hot (usually from a can) and these were ice cold and soaked in vinegar of all things. I couldn't have been more shocked and I'm sitting there not knowing whether to spit them out or swallow them and ML is watching me like a hawk and goes " what , you don't like beets either?
So I chewed em up real quick and swallowed hard and with tears in my eyes said " well , I do , but you forgot to cook these and someone dumped vinegar on them" (big laugh around the table at my expense)
long story short , I learned about " Harvard" beets that day and to her credit , after that if ML was cooking beets , she made mine hot..

Last edited:
Watched an episode of DDD on Food Network a while ago.

Someone made a "beet burger" by marinating or par-boiling thick slices in an herbed brine, and then grilling it like a patty.
Slapped it on a healthy bun with some good fixins' and some sort of aoli. It actually sounded tasty - even to someone like me, who is not much of a "veggie-head". Only drawback was that while being eaten, it stained the teeth red, like a "Vampire Sammich"...

Maybe this Summer, if I get my paws on some big, sweet beets, I may have to give this a try.

Try to get your hands on some "salad turnips" and grill them! They are a first crop and are about golf ball size, at least from the guy I get them from, halve them ad toss with some salt and pepper drizzled with EVOO. Grill them then toss with just a tiny drizzle of oil when you take them off and have at it! About fifteen to twenty minutes grill time.

I spent several of my early years on a working farm. We grew beets and canned them and also pickled them. I like them prepared a number of ways. Kind of takes me "back to the farm".

Good post, Bob!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Thanks so much for this post Bob. I read it when it was published and just got around to trying beets on the grill yesterday.

I peeled and sliced (about 1/2 inch) some beets, and rubbed them with EVOO. I then seasoned them with Weber's Roasted Garlic and Herb Seasoning. Grilled over direct heat for 25 minutes, turning 3 or 4 times. Used applewood chips in my smoke box on my Genesis. Great flavor added to the beets.

Served them with a bit of balsamic drizzled over the beets. Sorry that I did not take pics - they were so good we started eating them as soon as they came off the grill.

Thanks again Bob.

Ray

Back