Sourdough Stuffing

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I lucked across this with only a few tries. After a few times it's easily repeatable & most of all delicious....and flexible I'm sure.

I made it again tonight.

1 rustic (crusty round) loaf of sourdough bread
3/4 bunch of celery, trim the root end, & just the tip of the top - don't cut off the leaves
2 yellow or whatever you like onions, chopped coarsely
2 pasilla peppers (omit if you don't have them)
4 T (half stick) butter
1+ tbsp salt
1.5 tsp Chef Merito chicken seasoning, or 2 chicken bullion cubes if you don't have that
1 - 1.5 tbsp dried sage
1 - 1.5 tbsp dried thyme
8 oz dates, roughly chopped (maybe thirds)

First I chopped the veggies in a 5 qt dutch oven on the stove, threw the butter in first & didn't turn on the heat until the veggies were all in. I sauteed them on med heat for maybe 10-15 minutes - the veggies weren't overcooked or even translucent. I added the spices halfway through the cooking, and when it was nearing the "done" point I added 8 oz of coarsely chopped dates and continued sauteing (more like cook & stir every couple/few minutes) the veggies.

I started tearing the sourdough loaf into chunks & I waited until it was mostly broken into pieces before stirring it in.

I added no liquid since 1/2 cup was too much last time, and I placed the lid on the dutch oven to even out the steam. I had a turkey in the oven so I just set it in along side that for around 15-20 minutes somewhere around 400F.

Last time I made it I added walnuts and they were a good addition, this time I planned on adding pecans towards the end but I forgot and they were not missed. Next time I'll try pecans, walnuts or maybe even raw (soon to be roasted) pumpkin seeds. I didn't remove the cover to brown, not needed with this. I also added a bunch of Habanero sauce but that's not needed at all........last time I made it I had half a habanero that was going to go bad so I tossed it in - it was good, and so was my hab sauce, but yeah........you can omit that :)

12494876_10205658516284109_2747536780025819260_n.jpg

12541009_10205658516164106_1790521577423927091_n.jpg

11182001_10205658516004102_2044212184819624816_n.jpg

Last edited:
Looks tasty Clint. I bet that bread adds that "something special" eh? Could sub in a poblano for the pasilla.

Howzat boozy rooty beer taste? Just like adding a shot of vodka to a glass of r.b.?

Last edited:
Looks tasty Clint. I bet that bread adds that "something special" eh? Could sub in a poblano for the pasilla.

Howzat boozy rooty beer taste? Just like adding a shot of vodka to a glass of r.b.?

I pretty much use poblano & pasilla peppers interchangeably, and the pepper could even just be left out and whatever sounds good to the cook thrown in!

Next time I do this I think I'll add 1/4 cup of water.

The rootbeer is delicious :) The first was a little iffy but I really liked the 2nd through 5th... the last one is chilling in a snow bank

I've made this several times since last posting, I just made up a double batch this afternoon in my 8 quart stock pot.

I cooked the veggies for 10 minutes with butter, added the dates chopped in thirds, and cooked another 5 minutes (figured it'd mix a little sweetness throughout).

I cooked with the lid on & as the vegetables slightly reduced there was enough liquid that no extra water (etc) was needed which is normal for this. This time I mixed in pecans as I stirred the bread in. I used 2 pasilla peppers and maybe 6 jalapenos. Last time I used sausage, this time I added no meat - it's good either way.

Don't overcook the veggies - I like them to have a little bite.

Back