Hello from Los Angeles

Mac LA

TVWBB Super Fan
:wave

Names Johnny, from Downey.

Just wanted to stop in and give a shout! Took Harry Soo's class this past weekend and hooked! Transitioning from gas is going to be much different but well worth it - can't wait.

Starting off with a 22.5 Weber Smokey Mountain and hoping to get good enough to treat myself to a Jambo in the future.

Welcome to the forum Johnny. You're off to a great start taking Harry's class. You'll learn a lot here. Glad you joined us.

Welcome to the forum Johnny. You're off to a great start taking Harry's class. You'll learn a lot here. Glad you joined us.

Thanks for reply.

I certainly hope to gain some awesome Q knowledge here.

Thanks again for the kind welcome!

Welcome to the Family, Mac !
I used to hail from Downey also, just North of Stonewood.
Starting eating BBQ there also, back in the early 50s @ Chris N Pits !
If you get a chance, drop on over to our site...
California Barbeque Association ( CBBQA)
Harry may have talked about it during class...

Thank you sir!

Wow, small world. I'm over by Downey Ave and Stewart N Gray.

:laugh: Yup, Chris N Pitts was my go-to, well, when I didn't know any better. haha

Will do, and he did mention it for sure. I'll definitely check it out when I get home.

:cheers:

Welcome to the forum Mac. Great choice on the WSM22 and congrats on taking Harry's class. That is on my to do list. This is a great place to learn and to help others.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

I'm in the process of seasoning the smoker right now, hoping to be able to smoke something up by next weekend.

Johnny

Good luck with that Johnny. Be aware that the local news says we me have rain next weekend. Not a real problem if you have a patio cover. Of course, my wife hates it when smoke from the WSM comes in the house from the patio. Of course, everyone loves the food from that smoke. Enjoy that cook.

Good luck with that Johnny. Be aware that the local news says we me have rain next weekend. Not a real problem if you have a patio cover. Of course, my wife hates it when smoke from the WSM comes in the house from the patio. Of course, everyone loves the food from that smoke. Enjoy that cook.

Thanks Bob. I just heard about that this morning... That might put a damper on things, but I might be ok. I actually have the biggin setup on the side of our house (also our covered dog kennel that's never been used). lol I decided to setup there rather than the back yard because I was afraid one of my pups might get curious and burn their nose. It is has a real roof on her so as long as we do not get any crazy wind with the rain, I might be able to eek out a smoke.

I will update soon.

I really enjoy the info and feedback I get here.

Thanks again everyone!

Johnny O.

I will get some shots up as soon as I can.

Right now, the only shots I have is the ill-fitting door nad flaking metal hangers....lol

I'll get some nice money shots this weekend, I hope.

Johnny

I will get some shots up as soon as I can.

Right now, the only shots I have is the ill-fitting door nad flaking metal hangers....lol

Johnny

Two words for the ill fitting door Cajun Bandit! They make a heavy duty stainless steel door that is air tight. I have one on all three of my WSM. CHeck them out at www.cajunbandit.com

I took Harry Soo's class two years ago. Great class. Since we are in a three year drought here in Cali take his advice and no water in the bowl... :)

Two words for the ill fitting door Cajun Bandit! They make a heavy duty stainless steel door that is air tight. I have one on all three of my WSM. CHeck them out at www.cajunbandit.com

I took Harry Soo's class two years ago. Great class. Since we are in a three year drought here in Cali take his advice and no water in the bowl... :)

I actually ordered one Sunday. LOL. Harry highly recommended one and once I saw how the OEM fitment was, I was on the CB website. : ))

Yep, no water. Going to test that first.

Johnny...
Don't you have an assignment due shortly ! ;)

I most certainly do!!! lol I really need to get to that. Probably hit Costco tonight or tomorrow to check out the goods...

Welcome to the forum and looking forward to see some of your cooks. Take lots of pics.

Thank you Barb, will do! They may have that soap opera look to them as I just cracked my cell phone camera earlier today... smh. geesh.

Happy Monday everyone!

Lots of updates!!!! Finally got done seasoning my 22 and finally got around to smoking some spares and chicken thighs.

Best ribs I've ever done! Will throw up pics when I get more time. :cheers:

Johnny O.

1sl0yx.jpg

2mmp06.jpg

20zxyjc.jpg

w7yepu.jpg

derc60.jpg

293ergz.jpg

Some quick low quality pictures from yesterday's smoke. I battled super high winds and rain for most of the smoke but finally got better towards the end. I know I still have tons to work on and learn but these were the best ribs I've done to date.

I used too much bbq sauce in the end, and too thick too and they probed a bit over ideal temp.

Learning experience for sure.

I wish I had time to get more quality pics but I was trying to prep everything with very little help.

Anyway, I know I can cook in the rain and crazy wind after yesterday. lol.

Next week I'll probably do some pork shoulder. :wsm22:

Last edited:

Back