My DigiQ BBQ Guru - I know it's been said before but...

Roger R.

TVWBB Fan
I know it's been said before but...

What a great item!

My wife just bought me a DigiQ for my birthday and I tried it for my first time last night and this thing ROCKS! It was super easy to learn & use. I am amazed.

I tested it on some inexpensive beef ribs, just in case there was a learning curve. I like to use cheap meat when experimenting - just in case. I set it for 230º and cooked the ribs cooked for 5 hours, and the temp never fluctuated a bit!

I've been smoking meat for years, and I always have run 'in & out' of my house to check the WSM vents. Frankly that is my worst part of smoking for me, and it keeps me away from long cooks. I can smell a brisket in my near future...

Last night I checked my pit a few times, 'just to be sure' - and that baby stayed steady every-single-time! It got windy here last night too, and usually that would mean all kinds of tweaking my vents and position a wind barrier, etc. Not last night. The DigiQ kept my cooker at 230º consistently.

What a great product!

I used the chrome plugs instead of the tape that comes with it, to seal the bottom vents, which looks great.

Hello Roger...I got a DigiQ myself for Christmas planning on trying it this weekend. If it works like everyone raves, may consider getting a second one...for when I want to run my Kamado and my WSM.

Do the chrome plugs come with it also, I haven't had a chance to open mine yet to see everything that came with the package.

Thanks

Rob

Rob,
The plugs do not come with the DigiQ. I found mine at Home Depot in that section with the drawers full of speciality screws, clips and so on. The 3/4" plug fits my 18.5" WSM.

I did however fold the little tabs backwards (on the inside of my cooker) so they would not fall out. They look way cleaner than the heat tape that Guru includes.

http://www.homedepot.com/s/204273771

Fantastic! Thanks for the link..I will be getting a few of these for my cooker for the weekend.

I did not use the plugs in the other two lower vents, as the time will come when I will want to use my smoker without the Guru - but for plugging the 2 extra holes in the vent the Guru fits into, those plugs are great.

Roger
Learning curve ???????
Run in /out ?????
NO MORE. You will love it.
I use the plugs to only in the vent destined to Guru. The other 2 ore just closed and blocked closed using a penny to block.
You will improve your already outstandind steadyness using pizza stone instead of water pan (full or empty it doesn't matter).
This is my opinion after many many cooks

Roger
You will improve your already outstandind steadyness using pizza stone instead of water pan (full or empty it doesn't matter).

Enrico,
Do you use a pizza stone as a heat deflector / heat sink? If yes, what pizza stone do you use?

For many years I have used my water bowl filled with dry clean sand (no water). Then I place a tin foil wrapped terra cotta tray on top of the bowl to catch grease drips.

Lately I have been thinking about dumping out the sand, and placing the tin foil wrapped terra cotta tray on top of the "empty" water bowl. I get tired of lifting the heavy sand whenever I load the charcoal.

I could be interested in a Pizza stone, if I understood it better.

Back