Instant Pot Pressure Cooker

timothy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
We had the old stove top pressure cookers many years ago, but got away from them as the boys grew up and moved out.
My Lady is really sold on this unit based on the reviews and would love it in the winter.http://bestreviews.com/best-pressure-cookers
Anyone use or have one and offer any tips?

Tim

Last edited:
John Solak has one.
Hopefully he will see your post.

Amazon has several for $94.94 in their warehouse, rated good.
Everything I've bought, rated good, from the warehouse has been mint, or basically new condition.
This includes my recent lens purchase.
Always returnable if not.

Tim, you might troll around on this site. She has a ton of information on the Instant Pot. Note that I think IP has several different models available.

http://hippressurecooking.com/

Personally, I still prefer my stovetop pressure cookers (KuhnRikon) over my Cuisinart digital cooker mainly because start-to-finish time is shorter on the stovetops due to the extra time it takes digitals to get to high pressure and also because the Natural Pressure Release is also longer on the digitals (Quick-Release too), and I use the Natural Release for almost all meats and rice. They all give good results though. With a stovetop, you'll never have to replace it. Stick to a major brand so you can get spare parts if needed and check reviews about their customer service.

I bought my Cuisinart at Costco when it first came out. They are a good price now and owners are pleased with them too.

http://www.costco.com/Cuisinart®-El...sssure+cooker&langId=-1&storeId=10301&refine=

The shipping is $10.00, but maybe it's available in the brick & mortar stores. The 1200 model (Costco) is the same as the 600 model.

Rita

P.S. If you have issues with Teflon, the Instant Pot (IP-Duo in 1) does not have the non-stick coating if you'd rather have a stainless steel inner pot. Also available are stainless steel inner pots for the Cuisinart and several other digital cookers: Fits in Secura EPC600, Nesco PC6-25P, Cuisinart CPC-600, Fagor 670040230 6-Quart Electric Pressure Cooker. I'm pretty sure that I saw a different one offered for the Instant Pot too.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B005YZYYE4/tvwb-20

Last edited:
I have one and love it!!! Everything I have made it in has turned out great, even ribs!!! OK I lied about the ribs, not ever gonna use it for ribs!!! Makes awesome beans! Have done quite a few pasta dishes, best mac and cheese I have ever made was done in my instant pot and once it comes up to pressure it only takes four minutes to cook. I recommend getting one. They seem to be gaining in popularity so more and more recipes and recipes modified for these type of pressure cookers are popping up more often too.

OK. Thank you all for the positive feedback. It's been over 15 yrs since we used one and this seemed like a good alternative. It arrived from amazon and is doing it's maiden voyage tonite on a pork roast and root veggies. ( I'll check back tomorrow and add my review )
I loaded up the pantry with various beans and rice's and the freezer's are stocked with whatever was on sale so I'm set till this brutal cold leaves.:)

Tim

Tim, do keep us up to date on your digital pressure cooker adventure. Over the last 5 or 10 years, there have been a lot of new and creative technique innovations that do kick up the recipes a notch. One of the best, in my opinion, is:

Perfect Crispy Pressure Cooker Chicken and Rice

This is not a dump-and-serve recipe, but infinitely worthy of the little extra work to get crispy-skinned chicken and non-soggy rice. As with any pressure cooker, expect to tweak timing slightly to work with yours.

Last edited:
This morning I ordered the Instant Pot IP-DU060 from Amazon.
Due to arrive Monday.
Looking forward to your review Tim.
[h=1][/h]

I bet that's a nice design for a pressure cooker. I have a stove-top unit but rarely use it since I took up TonyR's recipe for refried beans (refried beans was about all I did in it.....couple roasts etc but nothing to speak of). I got a similar-looking rice cooker several months ago,,,kind of wishing I'd have gone with the instant pot that you guys are getting instead.

First use we like it.
Took some onions and garlic and saute'd them, than added the roast and browned it on all sides.
Added the root veges( potatoes,carrots, parsnips and turnips ) Added 3/4 c of water and let that come up to pressure.
Rita was right, it did take awhile longer coming up to pressure compared to a stove top model ( maybe 10 - 15 mins ) IIRC.
We set it for 55 mins and let it release naturally. ( which prolly took 15 mins )
The roast came out most excellent, tender and juicy and the vegs were done perfectly and the pan gravy was to die for:)
Oh and Rita thank you for that last link. I bookmarked it.
Tim

Last edited:
I have a Fagor stove top (old school with the jiggler valve) and the Cuisinart digital cooker that Rita has and I like them both. My Cuisinart cooker is the third one I've had because the first two were defective and I had to return them to Bed, Bath, and Beyond. The third is the charm! I use it often and my results have been very good. I've been looking at the Instant Pot IP-DU060 and it looks to me like a well made cooker. If my Cuisinart should poop out on me I'll no doubt replace it with the Instant Pot IP-DU060.

Thanks for the review Tim.
First up for me will be a chuck roast (CAB chuckies on sale for $2.99/lb this week) and veggies.
I really like that it will, hopefully, replace our ancient crock pot too.

I really like that it will, hopefully, replace our ancient crock pot too.

We bought it for the same reason, but I'm still gonna hang on to the crock because that's an 8 qt and the IP is 6 qt.
I do like the option of using the IP as a slow cooker and it has the searing phase which slow cookers don't.

Tim

Quick question...
Do these have a greater longevity then the Bluetooth Anova Sous Vide when cooking during an electrical storm ?
Received sous vide Friday, electrical storm Saturday....

We have the Cuisinart CPC-600 and the IP-Duo 7 in 1. Really like them both. Everything we've made in these has turned out great! It's rare that we go more than a few days without making something in one of them, especially now in the dead of winter. One pressure cooker cookbook that I highly recommend is Miss Vickie's Big Book of Pressure Cooker Recipes. It is geared to stovetop pressure cookers so you'll have to adjust cooking times somewhat, but the book contains a lot of really good recipes.

And I can recommend any of Lorna Sass's pressure-cooking books. Her last, "Pressure Perfect," is in my opinion her best. For many of her base recipes she adds several variations for different flavor profiles and/or different meats, and also ethnic variations. The front of the book has excellent information and tips and the recipes I've tried, with very few exceptions, are reliable.

She has an excellent palate and has been able to keep the length of the ingredient lists reasonable and still keep the flavors true.

Her books are also geared to the stovetop cookers but you can still use her timings for the digital cookers. You'll be very close, if not perfect, and can usually adjust by giving the dish a covered simmer for a couple of minutes if not quite cooked enough for your taste.

For those who are visual, unfortunately there are no photos.

Last edited:
OT: Rita - I found that cookbook in my kindle (app) by surprise today - think I'll try the classic beef stew first.

I'll throw in my $.02

I love my pressure cooker by Mealthy https://janeskitchenmiracles.com/instapot-reviews/ and have used one all my life (Mom taught me). But the more I see of the Instant Pot I might just invest in one to give it a try. It requires less watching than my pressure cooker.

I like simple things. For instance 43 years ago my in-laws gave Bill and I a rice cooker for an anniversary gift. At that time they had to go to China Town here in Chicago to find one. I was terrible at cooking rice (cause we never ate it growing up). Anyway I have loved that thing all these years because I can load it and go and it always comes out perfect!

Of course I have been cutting way back on using it as I try to reduce my carbs so it is getting a little dusty. My point is I think I would like the Instant Pot for it's simplicity.

Last edited:
I have no experience with the original, high pressure pressure cookers but we've had an IP for a couple years and it is a real treat to use! Every recipe we've made has been delicious and easy, including cheesecake!

Back