WSM Hinge Installed

looks very nice Matt!

suppose I should seriously consider getting one for my 22" (to make life easier, my New Year's resolution)

Any tips on the installation? I got one for my 18.5 and have been hearing mixed stories on the ease or lack there of installing it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Rob

Any tips on the installation? I got one for my 18.5 and have been hearing mixed stories on the ease or lack there of installing it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Rob

I just followed the steps in this video. It was pretty easy.

Dang Jimbo, I would have thought you had these on all your cookers by now.
Sorry Mac buddy, I don't yet, but I got one on my kitchen table though.... ;)

WSMhinge.jpg

Rob

If you get a hole slightly off, rather than try and drill with a larger bit, get a 3/16th chainsaw file and tweek the hole till it's perfect. Chainsaw files cut soft metal like this very quickly.

I just installed my hinge today. does anybody have any issues with the wsm cover not fitting over the hinge. i feel like it might be a bit tight or does it eventually stretch out over it?

Pro looking install Matt and James.
Guess if I had the big fella then I'd want the hinge too.

Last edited:
I just installed my hinge today. does anybody have any issues with the wsm cover not fitting over the hinge. i feel like it might be a bit tight or does it eventually stretch out over it?

My 22 cover is tight over it. It fits,but not well. I'm adding handles soon ( ok,as soon as it gets above 50 outside so the paint will dry...) at that point I'm thinking I'm going to have to go aftermarket.

In addition to the hinge, I have handles on the midsection that makes using the original cover too small...
Therefore, I cover my 22.5 WSM with a Weber 26" Kettle cover.
I have not seen 26" Kettle covers in any store so.....
Call Weber at 1-800-446-1071

I got one for Christmas and still haven't had a chance to install. Does anyone that installed one on an 18 WSM wish they had a handle on the front of the lid like a 22?

I just ordered mine. In their install video they paint where they drilled and then the video goes right on to showing them putting the bolts in. I am guessing you actually should let it dry first then put the bolts on. So does these take 2 days or so to do because of that? Did any of you put tape on the inside of the WSM to keep the enamel on the inside from chipping out?

skip the paint, that bit of non-exposed steel ain't gonna hurt one lick...
and no enamel chips without using tape.

remember, you're drilling into a metal smoker...
not like it's a '57 Cadillac. ;)

Back