Throwdown #32: Dogs In Buns

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year's celebration! We're ready to kick-off 2016 with a new throwdown chosen by Tommy B and the theme is:

Dogs In Buns!

Any tube meat in a hot dog style bun qualifies for this throwdown, such as brats, sausage, chili dog, traditional hot dog, etc.

Let's run this throwdown until Monday, February 8 at 11:59pm Pacific Time. This allows for Super Bowl Sunday dogs to be entered!

Good luck everyone!

P.S. Remember, don't be intimidated! This isn't a barbecue competition, it's just for fun and friendship! Try it, you'll like it! And make sure to see the simple throwdown rules.

P.S.S. Remember, only 10 photos for each entry! Photo collages (multiple photos grouped into a single file) are OK, but each photo in the collage counts towards the 10 photo limit.

Yes, brats as in bratwurst. Any meat shaped like a hot dog or sausage will work for this throwdown! We're using the term "dog" very loosely. :)

Italian Sausages

Here's our entry as posted in the photo gallery. I didn't use live fire or a weber so we understand if we don't qualify.

Used the taco cart for this cook. Italian sausages with a mix of Bell peppers and onions.

I hope you guys don't get sick of me posting. My New Years resolution Is to be more active this year on the site

Here's an Instagram video of the cook. 15 second long.

https://instagram.com/p/BAgfb5BxZOn/

Thanks for looking

Tony and Maribel

Brats wearing their Sunday best

All the ingredients

Getting their cook on

All gussy up!!! (from left to right)
1. Clean Buffalo-chicken, buffalo sauce, blue cheese, onion, and celery
2. Dirty Pig-ham, bacon, sour kraut, and mustard
3. Cheddar Head-cheddar cheese sauce, onion, and French onion
4. Smoke house-pulled pork, bacon, and BBQ sauce

Here's my entry - Sonoran dogs!

For those unfamiliar with this delightful creation, a Sonoran dog is an all-beef hot dog, wrapped in bacon, and then stuffed into a bolillo roll with a bunch of other goodies.

Here are the goodies - bolillo rolls (not sliced completely open, but instead with a pocket in them), pinto beans, avocado, pickled jalapenos, mustard, and mayo that is mixed with fresh lime juice. There's also some pico de gallo that didn't get into the picture for some reason.

20160121_171908_zpsea7cqhlx.jpg

Dogs getting started on the grill.

20160121_172224_zpscyskaryk.jpg

The finished product (and a close up).

20160121_173910_zpsyyhfxmw9.jpg

20160121_173859_zpsj9kfwx3a.jpg

And finally a cross section shot, since it's hard to get a good idea of what's in there.

20160121_174354_zpstmuxb8ly.jpg

If you like hot dogs, give these a shot! Thanks for looking.

Great looking entries so far. I have been so incredibly busy this year but I plan on entering for sure! It may be a superbowl afternoon cook but i'll have to step up!

If you're grilling hot dogs over Super Bowl weekend, make sure to take photos of your best dressed dog and enter it in the throwdown!

Good Ole Fashioned Dog

Nothing fancy just a good ole fashioned dog! I added some cast iron skillet sauteed onion. Keep it simple!

Cooked on my blue SS performer.

Back