Thermocouple Adapter Board Design Requests

Frank Giacinto

TVWBB Member
I started a themocouple adapter board a long long time ago and have decided to return to the design since weather does not allow me time on the smoker.

I have some options that can be taken into consideration with the design so I will ask fellow users what they prefer.

My initial thought is to make the adapter a remote type design, that will use a CAT5 cable to connect the 4 probes to the HM via the existing RJ45 on the HM.
I will power the remote board with the 5v from the rj45 and use a 3.3v regulator to drop the voltage back down, this will help with any voltage loss on the cable. The 4 probes will then have their temperature sent back to the HM via the cat 5 cable. The adapter board will have a pass thru rj45 for the blower and/or screw terminals for the blower connections.
This will allow the probe adapter to be wrapped easily for cooks in bad weather and the HM kept somewhere safe.

I will make the adapter board able to accept the standard probes or the tc probes, the circuity needed ie pull up resistor will be in the circuit as needed and enabled by inserting the standard thermistor probe, all you will need to do is program the UI for which type probe you are using.

The HM will need to be modified to allow this option, all of the resistors and jacks do not need to be installed for the probe inputs , and jumpers will need to be added from the food and pit probes inputs (Probe J2) to the HM rj45 jack.
If being added to an existing built design the pull up resistors will need to be removed and jumpers to the rj45 installed.

Let me know if any other items should be added or removed.
This design is up for further ideas from you... :cool:

This has been available for a long time now, put together by John Bostwick and I, shared here. It has all the features you mentioned, though I am unclear if you planned to include the option to have all TC probes? Our project has only the TC Pit Probe option while the food probes are all standard probes.

Been away too long....

Thanks been away for a while... nice to see that your design is functional.

Yes my plan is to add 4 remote standard or tc probes.

Guess I should wait and see if there is any need for such a board now that yours is proven..

Back