Ice Build Up

JakeBrown

TVWBB Member
I'm doing a cook with the "offset rotary valve" and noticed ice build up, the rotating arm freezing, and not moving.
Anyone else have this experience?
Solutions?

The rotating valve is freezing to the main housing? Maybe try something like a graphite lubricant between 2 plastic faces. Do you know where the source of the moisture is? It is just atmospheric condensation or is it from the warm air from the cooker? Are there any small puddles below the damper?

Since it was the middle of the night and I wanted to get back to sleep, I sprayed some silicone. This seems to have worked, or coincidence (I haven't had time to lookup the freezing point).

The source of the moisture puzzles me. I am seeing some puddles below the egg's damper, but not necessarily under the valve. I'm using a drip pan under the meat, but the drip pan doesn't cover the entire meat area. I don't notice drippings getting into the fire nor into the center of the fire bowl. I suspect the meat might be dripping down the sides of the egg, and dripping where the vent is. Another possibility is the moisture inside the Egg dripping down the sides.

I think my BGE pit holds a lot of moisture, but I'm just guessing.

Or it could be humidity, freezing temperature, and the fan creating a tiny sheet of ice.

I also notice alot of condensation when grilling. I also use the rotoryoffset valve. My guess is to why, is that moisture is added to the air via grill heating, (btw, moisture is a by product of combustion) and from the content of the grill. So the air around the grill heats up and holds more moisture, until the air is compressed and cooled by the fan and then the moisture falls out of the air.
Just my 2 cents...

Back