Heatermeter out of control need pid help!

DavidMet

Hi All,
Just wanted to say this is a great project and lots of fun. Anyway, I built the heatermeter 4.2 and got a robodamper and started cooking. Everything seems to be working correctly, mechanically and electronically, but when in operation, lets say startup where the temp is set to 250. During ramp up, fan is 100% and robodamper is full open everything looks good. But, when the temp reaches 250, my fan "output" will drive the temp to 290, then temp will drop to 230 and start "ringing." I have a Vision classic b grill with new seals. I tried to adjust the pid but tuning but it requires alot of time a fuel and I would like to conserve both by asking....Anybody using a classic b? What are your pid settings. Anyone else got any suggestions, and again thanks!!
Vision Classic B
Bias=0
Prop=.75
Int=.007
Deri=6
Fan=Pulse Min=10% Max=80% Startup=100%

Drop your fan Min to 0, drop your fan max to around 10-20% (Startup max can stay at 100%), min 10 will make your fan pulse bursts of air more than your fire needs, 80% is WAY too much flow for a good kamado. I also recommend that you try fan "on at max only" mode in a kamado.
When you light your fire make sure you do not light a large fire for low and slow, a very small fire will be able to maintain a low and slow in a kamado, if you start with a large fire the HM will take a long time to tamp it down to the proper size.

Last edited:
Hi David, I too have a Vision Classic B. What PID settings did you end up going with? Interestingly I just updated my image to fix a wifi issue and my PID controls don't have Bias and a few other options. I'm using the development snapshot for a Raspberry Pi B.

Thanks!

Hi All,
Just wanted to say this is a great project and lots of fun. Anyway, I built the heatermeter 4.2 and got a robodamper and started cooking. Everything seems to be working correctly, mechanically and electronically, but when in operation, lets say startup where the temp is set to 250. During ramp up, fan is 100% and robodamper is full open everything looks good. But, when the temp reaches 250, my fan "output" will drive the temp to 290, then temp will drop to 230 and start "ringing." I have a Vision classic b grill with new seals. I tried to adjust the pid but tuning but it requires alot of time a fuel and I would like to conserve both by asking....Anybody using a classic b? What are your pid settings. Anyone else got any suggestions, and again thanks!!
Vision Classic B
Bias=0
Prop=.75
Int=.007
Deri=6
Fan=Pulse Min=10% Max=80% Startup=100%

Last edited:

Back