Phone call from your HM

Malvin C

TVWBB Member
I know that it's been discussed a bit here before, but I've found a way using the popular IFTTT app available for both iPhone and Android to call your phone when an alarm is triggered. The method requires sending the message through IFTTT servers from your email and it does proclude you from receiving an email message in the traditional method as I have not been able to figure out a way to send the message to two addresses (both IFTTT's and the one of your choice). But for overnight cooks, you can program the number calling you so that it bypasses any Do Not Disturb settings and will ring until you answer it or it goes to voicemail. The IFTTT recipe I used is fairly simple and can be created simply by selecting "email" as the trigger channel and "phone" as the action. IFTTT is pretty good as guiding you through the setup.

I've pondered this, but thought it might end up being too annoying.

Something that might be better is using the IFTTT Maker Channel and create an alarm script with time conditions ie: only call between 23:00 and 07:00.

I've just published an IFTTT recipe for this.

Alarm script code.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

TYPE="Content-Type: application/json"

IF_TRIGGER="heatermeter"
IF_KEY="YOUR_IFTTT_MAKER_KEY"
IF_HOST="https://maker.ifttt.com/trigger/"
IF_MSG="{ \
\"value1\":\"$pn\",\"value2\":\"$al_thresh\",\"value3\":\"$pcurr\" \
}"

curl -k -o /dev/null -s -H "$TYPE" -d "$IF_MSG" ${IF_HOST}${IF_TRIGGER}/with/key/${IF_KEY}

Only alert between 23:00 and 07:00

Code:
#!/bin/sh

HOUR="$(date +%H)"
if [ "$HOUR" -ge 23 ] || [ "$HOUR" -lt 7 ]
then

TYPE="Content-Type: application/json"

IF_TRIGGER="heatermeter"
IF_KEY="_L2FvAN7GKeBCRCRIZsqQ"
IF_HOST="https://maker.ifttt.com/trigger/"
IF_MSG="{ \
\"value1\":\"$pn\",\"value2\":\"$al_thresh\",\"value3\":\"$pcurr\" \
}"

curl -k -o /dev/null -s -H "$TYPE" -d "$IF_MSG" ${IF_HOST}${IF_TRIGGER}/with/key/${IF_KEY}
fi

Woops. Posted my key in the 2nd message and since the forum admin is on a power trip, I'm unable to edit or delete my own messages...

Time to generate a new key!

I wouldn't solely rely on the IFTTT > Phone method for alerts. I had it running a bunch of tests overnight and the results were pretty spotty. Sometimes a call would be made within a couple of minutes of being triggered. Many times there was a 10 or 15 minute delay. Using a proper voice service like Twilio would be better if you're looking to get a guaranteed call for an alert.

Yeah, I concur with the spotty IFTTT phone calls. I setup a recipe a while back that would call my home phone if my wireless security camera detected motion. I programmed it to repeat the phrase "Intruder Alert, Intruder Alert" a few times, which was cool in the robot voice that called, but it did seem to be hit or miss. I envision with the HeaterMeter it would be fun to have Yosemeti Sam call telling me my biscuits are burning if temps got too high.

I just signed up for the free trial of MessageBird and it works pretty well. The pricing is also super cheap at $0.011 ( 1.1 cents per call ).

You get 7 free voice calls in the trial. After that, you have to purchase credits. It defaults to a $20.00 credit, but you can use calculator and choose 500 voice calls and it will still only come to about $5.00

It would be super easy to integrate into the HM alarms.

curl -X POST https://rest.messagebird.com/voicemessages \
-H 'Authorization: AccessKey MyMessageBirdAPIKey' \
-d "recipients=+14165551212" \
-d "originator=+14165551212" \
-d "repeat=3" \
-d "voice=male" \
-d "language=en-us" \
-d "body=Hello, this is your HeaterMeter. Probe pit is alarming. The alarm temp is 250 degrees. The current temp is 280 degrees"

Turns out you have to purchase a minimum of $20 worth of credit, which should pretty much last a lifetime!

Turns out you have to purchase a minimum of $20 worth of credit, which should pretty much last a lifetime!

Need to look into this option. So far, IFTTT has worked well for me in the tests I've run, but I'd like to have something more reliable based on the feedback here.

Back