OT: openHAB - vendor and technology agnostic open source home automation software

Steve_M

TVWBB Guru
http://www.openhab.org/

Anyone here using openHAB?

I only learned about openHAB last night. I'm not quite fully immersed into the home automation ecosystem, but I do run a bunch of small scripts from my dedicated RasPi that I have mounted to my electrical panel. It looks like openHAB could replace a good chunk of what I'm already doing and make it easier to add more.

All of my scripts are in my pi-scripts repo on GitHub. None of it's too fancy, but it gets the job done.

A few of my scripts / utils:

Heat Tweet: Send me a tweet every time the A/C or Furnace goes on/off

KakgJiml.png

Nest ThingSpeak: Sends my Nest data to ThingSpeak for better graphs, since the graphs that Nest provides are pretty useless.

Mordoor: Monitors the 2 proximity sensors on my garage doors, combined with the home/away status of the nest thermostat to automatically close my garage doors. I implemented this after leaving one of the doors open overnight and raccoons wandered in and made a mess of my garbage and food waste bins.

Treelights: Toggles a WeMo switch to turn on/off the Christmas tree lights based on the home/away status of the Nest

Pretty much everything is done in bash, though I had a long term plan to learn Go and re-write them in Go, but maybe not after looking into openHAB.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link.
I have a ton of Insteon stuff.. really been slacking on updating software and getting a ton of scenes programmed. need to get off my butt. will have a look!

nice find....OpenHAB looks good. I'm in process of adding MQTT to the "express module" for HeaterMeter....will have to try and see how that will connect to OpenHab....probably needs broker setup alongside...

Back