Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Adapt-a-Damper - Open Source Project

TVWBB Pro
    (I should have made it square.)

TVWBB Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WBegg View Post
    (I should have made it square.)

Between the lines.... "I should have stole it better"...
    I created the Roto Damper, RD3, HMv4.2 sliding back case, "air-burner" and the "ping-pong" valve in my quest for delicious "set and forget" BBQ.

I'm not a lawyer, or even pretend to be one on television, but unless there's a patent on the rotodamper, I don't think there's much you can do about this.

Ralph: If I was you, I'd be upset, too. I've asked you before why you don't just open source the RD design, and you stick by your reply about being flooded with support emails and your concern about the commercial exploitation of your design. The support emails can be mitigated by having a separate email address that you use when you sell the RD to someone. Let the others come to the forum or elsewhere, where they may or may not get an answer. Maybe chat with Bryan about how he deals with things, since the HeaterMeter on it's own is surely more popular than any of the accessories. To be honest, I purposely stayed away from your RD design because I don't want to have to email someone and go through a "vetting" process in order to get 3D files for an accessory for an already open source project. This adds a barrier to entry.

In my day job, we use a ton of open source software. Sometimes it's because the price is right, but many times it's because it's being actively developed by a community and we can also contribute back to it. Some might consider it "commercial exploitation" when a mega-corp starts using the same software and it's helping their bottom line a lot more than it is yours, but that's just the way it is.

There's also an opportunity to create a support and services market. Just because your "thing" is open source, doesn't put you, the author/creator on the hook for support.

Wbegg: While I'm pretty sure you haven't broken any laws, you're not winning any friends with your approach. I can appreciate where you're coming from, and I think you've done a nice job replicating a design without having the original files, but I think we can all agree that this thread is being used to "poke the bear", for lack of a better term.
    Last edited by Steve_M; 12-12-2015 at 07:48 PM. Reason: grammar

TVWBB Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WBegg View Post
    Again, I Completely agree, Ralph! I have never NOT referenced you in my design. I will call it a blatant ripoff of your design. No worries. I just posted the files for the people here on the forum that would enjoy printing their own. or taking the design to a service to have it done. Mate, this is OPEN SOURCE! It's all about sharing!And ultimately smoking some great BBQ! If I can help make that happen, then I've done my job.

P.S. YES, it's a blatant ripoff of the RD3 design. Ralph is the Damper God.
    To admit you are a thief doesn't excuse the theft. It is easy to see that you are behind this commercial exploitation of my design no matter what convoluted shell game you put up as a diversion. Funny you don't seem to have an issue with "whoever" is selling "your" design (for $75 none the less) but seem to be off your rocker about me printing my own design? What's up with that? Oh, right, kinda hard to be p'ed at yourself or your business partner for selling the stuff you stole.

I have met a lot of good people in this forum and have faith in them to see through what you are doing here and not support your unethical endeavor. I also have full faith in my designs because I put the work into develop and testing it. If I am the "damper god" you are the exact opposite, I guess that makes you the damper "dog"?
    Last edited by Chris Allingham; 01-22-2016 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Edited Quote for inflammatory text.
    I created the Roto Damper, RD3, HMv4.2 sliding back case, "air-burner" and the "ping-pong" valve in my quest for delicious "set and forget" BBQ.

TVWBB Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_M View Post
    I'm not a lawyer, or even pretend to be one on television, but unless there's a patent on the rotodamper, I don't think there's much you can do about this.

Ralph: If I was you, I'd be upset, too. I've asked you before why you don't just open source the RD design, and you stick by your reply about being flooded with support emails and your concern about the commercial exploitation of your design. The support emails can be mitigated by having a separate email address that you use when you sell the RD to someone. Let the others come to the forum or elsewhere, where they may or may not get an answer. Maybe chat with Bryan about how he deals with things, since the HeaterMeter on it's own is surely more popular than any of the accessories. To be honest, I purposely stayed away from your RD design because I don't want to have to email someone and go through a "vetting" process in order to get 3D files for an accessory for an already open source project. This adds a barrier to entry.

In my day job, we use a ton of open source software. Sometimes it's because the price is right, but many times it's because it's because it's being actively developed by a community and we can also contribute back to it. Some might consider it "commercial exploitation" when a mega-corp starts using the same software and it's helping their bottom line a lot more than it is yours, but that's just the way it is.

There's also an opportunity to create a support and services market. Just because your "thing" is open source, doesn't put you, the author/creator on the hook for support.

Wbegg: While I'm pretty sure you haven't broken any laws, you're not winning any friends with your approach. I can appreciate where you're coming from, and I think you've done a nice job replicating a design without having the original files, but I think we can all agree that this thread is being used to "poke the bear", for lack of a better term.
    Bryan offers no support what so ever as far as I know, and litigation is something I had hoped to avoid getting into over this.

Believe me, Mr Beggie thief AKA the "damper dog" DID work from my files as you can clearly see, otherwise there would be more differences in the design. I refused to give him the files because of the way he approached me when asking for him. Ironically he must have learned my criteria for sharing the files with that failed attempt and made another request for the files with an alias telling me what I want to hear, and the tyrannical "damper god" that I am sent him the files and here we are. Or maybe he had a member of his "posse" approach me to get the files. Does it really matter HOW he stole the design in reality?

TVWBB Pro
    I should have made it square, and not purple, with a fan instead of a blower. So many ways to skin a cat. Again, if anyone here feels I'm being unethical, then don't download the files.

Cheers,
    W
    Last edited by WBegg; 12-12-2015 at 08:22 PM.

I understand there are real issues involved here and heated discussion is understandable. But let's try to refrain from name calling, please.

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allingham View Post
    I understand there are real issues involved here and heated discussion is understandable. But let's try to refrain from name calling, please.
    Sorry Chris. My appologies.

TVWBB Pro
    As fun as it has been reading through this thread, I think we should all just step back for second and really look at what we are arguing about. This is not the flux capacitor or something equally spectacular. We're talking about a plastic valve that controls air flow into a smoker. Nothing that anyone in this forum has ever "invented" is truly novel. They are all just situational implementations of previously invented technologies. There are definitely people here that take themselves way too seriously and need to relax. This is a community forum of people bringing together ideas and rapidly progressing them by sharing and collaborating. To that extent, WBegg, I get what you are doing and agree with you completely about having all files posted publicly, though you may have been able to do it a bit less antagonistically.

BTW, all this talk of people spending "thousands" of hours testing dampers is nonsense. These things work pretty easily and can be verified to be hit or miss in just a couple of hours. Furthermore, if anyone's bbq'ing addiction has reached that many hours of smoking, I feel obliged as a physician and oncologist to recommend that you cut back significantly.

Tom

I think if Elon Musk can convert all of the Tesla patents to open source, doing the same for accessories for a bbq controller should be a no brainer!

I love the quotes in this article.

Musk: We actually don't require any formal discussions. So they can just go ahead and use them.

Reporter: Is there a licensing process?

Musk: No. You just use them. Which I think is better because then we don't need to get into any kind of discussions or whatever. So we don't know. I think you'll see it in the cars that come out, should they choose to use them.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast