Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: The Adapt-a-Damper - Open Source Project

before I made a burner, I used this setup, a sink drain, sink pipe, and my fan went on pipe........sinkdrain was on one of the vents.[IMG][/IMG]

WSM 22.5; 22.5 OTS; MINI

TVWBB Pro
    I bought a Mill about 6 months ago that I'm slowly converting to CNC. Hopefully, I'll have an Aluminum (maybe stainless?) version of the Adapt-a-Damper before the end of the year. There are probably going to be some changes to make it CAM friendly. It will utilize the same Delta fan, but I may have to go with a larger servo (ergo, larger power supply). Stay tuned.
    Last edited by WBegg; 03-23-2019 at 04:48 PM.

TVWBB Honor Circle Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    Holy smokes, I'd like to see that, the more pics of the process the better!
    I'm that HeaterMeter guy what ruins everybody's free time.

I'm so glad I check back here every once in a while. Thanks for the new threads, Wbegg!...and thanks for the open sharing of the design.

Printing one tonight.

Any advice on PID settings? I smoked pork tenderloin and the pit temp would never get down to setpoint. Setpoint was 225F but pit temp would go down to about 221F and then go up to 240F and stay there. Then I raised setpoint to 350F then pit temp would go past 350F and stay around 380F to 400F.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Was damper closing?
    Servos can be crap

Air leaks, poor door, or unsealed lid can also contribute

TVWBB Super Fan
    Was damper closing?
    Servos can be crap

Air leaks, poor door, or unsealed lid can also contribute

But p=3 to 4
    I= .02-.03
    D=4-8

Blower on above 20-30, 20-50%
    Should work

TVWBB Honor Circle Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlo Poa View Post
    Any advice on PID settings? I smoked pork tenderloin and the pit temp would never get down to setpoint. Setpoint was 225F but pit temp would go down to about 221F and then go up to 240F and stay there. Then I raised setpoint to 350F then pit temp would go past 350F and stay around 380F to 400F.
    You should post a graph because it is much easier to see what's going on. There's no PID setting that's the key to getting good accuracy in controlling the temperature, which is why there are so many settings. I can say that if the "Output" of the HeaterMeter was 0% when the temperature was staying too high, then you've got too much air getting in somehow and that's beyond any setting. When the output is 0%, the temperature should start dropping quickly within a few minutes.

If that's working properly, and it is just overshoot, then you can reduce that by reducing the blower usage through a number of different parameters (lower P, lower I, higher D, higher blower on above, lower max blower, etc).
    I'm that HeaterMeter guy what ruins everybody's free time.

The damper was closing and the servo seems to be working fine. I will look into air leaks or lid not being sealed well. Thanks for the suggestions.

I will see if I can dig up the graph. From what I remember when temperature was too high the Heatermeter was at 0% and temperature did not drop quickly. It sounds like I have air leaks. I will look into that and then move on to fine tuning the PID. Thank you.

Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast