Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast

Thread: The Adapt-a-Damper - Open Source Project

Quote Originally Posted by JKalchik View Post
    I'd have to fire up my HM (or go digging for the screens online....)

If the servo is buzzing at one end or the other, regardless of the servo control settings, you may have to rotate the horn on the servo.
    Oh that makes sense. I thought my settings I put in might be assuming a certain servo position. I'll give that a look now. Thanks again.

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianDickens View Post
    Oh that makes sense. I thought my settings I put in might be assuming a certain servo position. I'll give that a look now. Thanks again.
    My method is to start with the 1000uS-2000uS defaults, and WITHOUT the top disc (and servo horn) attached, have the damper go to 100% fully open. Install the top Disc so that the openings line up. Then have the servo go to Fully Closed and adjust the lower uS number until exact fully closed is achieved.

This method should put your servo in the middle of travel with plenty of unused movement on each end.

Quote Originally Posted by WBegg View Post
    My method is to start with the 1000uS-2000uS defaults, and WITHOUT the top disc (and servo horn) attached, have the damper go to 100% fully open. Install the top Disc so that the openings line up. Then have the servo go to Fully Closed and adjust the lower uS number until exact fully closed is achieved.

This method should put your servo in the middle of travel with plenty of unused movement on each end.
    Cool. I just went through and did exactly this. Seems to be fine. I get some clicks some times but it seems to settle in after a short time. Not sure if that's a concern or just an annoyance.

TVWBB Pro
    Almost done! Just need to design and mill a few different adapters. First will be one to fit a BBQ Guru fitting. Maybe some sanding and polishing may be in order, as I want to try some DIY anodizing. Any suggestions on color?

[IMG][/IMG]

TVWBB Pro
    Any anodizing I'd suspect would be better than bare aluminum. Me.... I'd be looking at blue.

Nice work. How does the weight compare to a 3D printed (PLA, ABS, etc.) version?

TVWBB Honor Circle Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    Wow that is gorgeous. Everything looks better in metal.
    I'm that HeaterMeter guy what ruins everybody's free time.

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JKalchik View Post
    Any anodizing I'd suspect would be better than bare aluminum. Me.... I'd be looking at blue.

Nice work. How does the weight compare to a 3D printed (PLA, ABS, etc.) version?
    The total weight with components installed and no adapter is just under 1 lb. (15.8 ounces). The plastic version is 5.7 ounces, so about a 10 ounce difference.

Just printed my damper. Looking forward to my first cook with it. Thanks WBegg!

Steve

TVWBB Pro
    Nice! Good luck.

TVWBB Pro
    Studying home aluminum anodizing, and before I decide to try it on the aluminum damper, I decided to give it a go on a speed handle I made for my mill. It turned out pretty darn good! I left the machine marks in, but in future ventures, i'll sand to suit a great finish. Next step, anodizing the AlumaDamper (I know, stupid name).

P.S. Thanks, Mr. Kalchik for the suggestion of blue for the color. I like it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast