Meat Stall Alarm?

Dominick A

TVWBB Fan
I know there are options aplenty to set alarms for high and low temps on meat. Is there a function built in, or could be built in, that would notify a user that the meat has slowed heating to the point that it would identify for you that the meat has entered the stall phase of the cook? Would a significant decrease in degrees per hour at a certain point signify the stall is starting or close to starting? I know it is typically in the 160-170F range, but I may not notice it for an hour or two if I'm off doing something else. I was just thinking it would be cool to get a message saying "Approaching Meat Stall, get your foil ready" if you are in to that sort of thing.

Every piece stalls differently and at different times based on the weight, fat content, cooking temp, etc. You've got the ability to monitor remotely, so have a peak on things every 15 minutes or so. I suppose you alarm if temp didn't rise by X degrees in N minutes, but I think you might get too many false positives.

Yeah, I understand. I've only got a few cooks with the HM under my belt and haven't checked out the alarm scripts page. If you cook similar types of meat on the same cooker over and over, you might find that your environment points to a consistent stall and just bake that in. That's the nice thing about the graphs.

Outside of the graph stashes, is there data somewhere in the archives that could be analyzed via a spreadsheet to look at time and temp variables? Again, I know there are soooo many variables with BBQ, but I'm an analytical stat guy and would like to see what the numbers tell me once I have a big enough data set.

Is the 'Degrees per hour' a variable that is saved somewhere & accessible to the alarms? You could do 'Probe temp > x && Degree/hr < y' to reduce false positives. I doubt it would be predictive, but at least it'd remind you if you forgot it.
Very general idea - I don't use alarms & scripts for much.

Yeah there's no alarms based on the degrees per hour. DPH is calculated by linear regression analysis on the Pi and the Alarms are triggered by the HeaterMeter itself so they're not really attached. It is on the TODO list already though because I want it myself.

I think there just needs to be one value for each food probe right?
-- If DPH is above X by 1 degree, "arm" the alarm
-- If armed and DPH is below X then trigger notification with al_probe=probe, al_type="DPH" (or Stall?), de-arm the alarm

Back