Are the new models not made as well as they used to be 1980s-2000s?

JJackson

TVWBB Member
I'm new to technique-grilling/smoking, and very new to Webers (just got my hands on a couple of "older" ones a week or so ago, which brought me here). So with that said, I genuinely know next-to-nothing, especially about grill reputations.

I read a lot of love for the older Weber gassers. They seem to be built like tanks and easy to restore.

Out of curiosity, all things being equal, are the new models not made as well as they used to be 1980's-2000's? I just don't see AS much praise for new models.

I understand that the new Spirit line is made in China and uses thinner parts, but that it's also still better than other grills at that price point. Just wondering what I'll do if my older gasser dies and can't be fixed, and/or there's a drought of older models. Are new models not worth it at their close-to-$1000 all-in range?

Are new models not worth it at their close-to-$1000 all-in range?
I just bought a brand new S330 and paid a tad over $1K. I love that BBQ, it's worth every penny I paid for it. Don't get m wrong, I love my old Kettles (I've got a 1976 blackie and a 1982 Redhead) The only BBQ made by Weber I didn't like is their large "Q" - I've got the baby Q and I love it, but I hate, Hated, HATED the full size Q

Now if I had to choose between an older made in America Weber vs a brand new Weber made in china......I'd buy old and restore without a moments hesitation

Welcome! And good cooking with your newly acquired Weber BBQ's

Now if I had to choose between an older made in America Weber vs a brand new Weber made in china......I'd buy old and restore without a moments hesitation

Are they ALL made in China now? I was under the impression it was only the entry-level Spirits. Maybe I will HAVE to be an older-for-life guy.

I've restored a few of the Genesis 1000s and Silvers and my own 1999 Genesis 1000. They have cast fireboxes and are pretty bullet proof some of the newer ones are rust prone especially the ones with an enclosed cabinet underneath.
The beauty of the older three burners is almost all the parts are still available, one example for parts is ereplacementparts.com, there are lots of others on the net too. I have 8 Weber's and one Ducane which was made by Weber and they are all great grills.
For the money restoring an older Weber is a lot of fun and you will have a great grill that you couldn't buy new for any where near the price of the restoration. I for one like the East / West burners on the older grills but I am warming up to the North / South burners on the Ducane I just got. That might be a consideration.

Oh and welcome to the forum if you need any information on Weber's someone on the forum will have the answer for you.

Are they ALL made in China now? I was under the impression it was only the entry-level Spirits. Maybe I will HAVE to be an older-for-life guy.
The Genesis and the Summits are made in America (my S330 is a Genesis) the spirits are made in china. I believe all the charcoal Kettles are made in America

Oh and welcome to the forum if you need any information on Weber's someone on the forum will have the answer for you.

Thanks! I've already learned a lot in my week reading. I'm kind of addicted to the pictures, stories of restoration, and all the new information.

I just hope the 2 grills I've acquired haven't already been ruined (looks like both of them have some sort of flat paint sprayed in the firebox).

I'll have to take some pics and post them this weekend.

That's a bummer. I like how the new color enameled ones look, and was looking forward to having one someday.

There are numerous ways to protect those grills if you find one in good condition. You can spray a heavy coat of primer on the bottom side of the grill, also if it's setting on concrete the gasses coming off the concrete are very corrosive, put a rubber mat under it to isolate the bottom of the grill from the concrete or do both as I did. My E320 is almost 7 years old and sitting on a concrete patio and still is in perfect condition. Also if you cover it make sure the type of cover you have is breathable so it doesn't trap moisture.

Back