What is better Porcelain or Stainless in a 650/670 ??

Don D.

TVWBB Fan
I'm retiring my 7 year old Genesis Silver C grill to the pool area for late night swims and snacks for the boys .I want a Summit , not sure if I should go with the 650 or 670 ? Can the area for the sear center be used as a reguklar grill area as well or is in a different kind of grate only for searing , so is the square inches of primary cooking area the same in a 650 and a 670 ? What holds up better to the environment the Porcelain hood or the stainless .I read online that the stainless gets discolored from the heat ? but the E series does not get as hot as the S series ?Sorry for all the questions just before an investment like this I like to research with the experts.THANKS

I have a 2-year-old summit s-450. The grill is unbelievable, but hindsight being 20/20, I would rather have a porcelain hood. With the smoker box and high heat of the grill, I have major discoloration and smoke stains that require heavy-duty clean-up when I am up to it. I will say that there is no sign of corrosion otherwise. Everything still operates like day one with heavy year-round use.

What holds up better to the environment the Porcelain hood or the stainless .I read online that the stainless gets discolored from the heat ? but the E series does not get as hot as the S series ?
The stainless lid should be better at retaining heat because it is double walled and there is an air gap between the walls.

Having said that, neither will hold the heat any better with the lid open.
icon_biggrin.gif

Yes, the sear station can be used normally. Same grates, same burners, all it is is an extra tube burner crammed between two existing burners.

You know, for the price of Summit 6 series you can get into DCS. Better made.

They come as grill heads and you either install them as built ins or put a cart underneath. All 304SS. You can get them with two sided cast stainless grates. One side for lean grilling, one side channeled for fatty stuff. The grates are sloped and carry grease away to the pan.

Thanks for your replies. Will the stains come out of the Stainless with some elbow grease and Bartender's friend ? I spoke to Weber CS who stated due to pools in the area and chlorine in the air , I'd be better off with the stainless instead of porcelain, but honestly my black porcelain Silver C stil looks good and the Summit will go on the deck where the Silver C was .Also is the sear burner worth $200-300 ,I have never received complaints about my steaks but need a large grill due to always entertaining people, so if I lived without a Sear burner till now I can choose between the E or S 650.

Also is the sear burner worth $200-300
I haven't used one ... but if I was considering the 650 I'd go all out and get the 670. It's an extra burner that can be used on it's own or in conjuction with the other two giving you just that much more control of where you apply heat to the grill.

The way I see it a Dodge Caliber and a Dodge Charger will both get you to the same destination, the Charger can get you there faster though.
icon_smile.gif

Don't forget you also get the lit knobs and the fold away table mounted rotis bracket on the 670.

Originally posted by Don D.:
Will the stains come out of the Stainless with some elbow grease and Bartender's friend? Also is the sear burner worth $200-300?

Yes. The stains do come mostly out but there will always be some heat discoloration throughout the hood. My steaks sear just fine without the special burner. These grills can get hot if you need them to.

I am leaning towards the S670 for the searing section, once I'm spending the $$ I don't want to regret it.However the discoloration of the SS is going to bother me , so maybe I should go with the E-650 ? This is my Big 40 Bday present , I want to enjoy it to its max !!Please help me decide.

the discoloration of the SS is going to bother me
I think that makes it pretty simple.
icon_smile.gif
650 for you ... or perhaps ...

If you check around with specialty stores ... Weber dealers, not the box stores ... you could find one who would buy back your SS lid insert and sell you a black lid, maybe the black doors too if that's your thing. Some will go to great lengths to get your sale.
icon_smile.gif

The SS is more expensive. If they give you wholesale on the SS and charge retail for the black it might cost you a few extra bucks, but you'd have exactly what you want.

thought about the lid & door swap some more ... I really see no reason why a dealer wouldn't do that for you

I'd ask for it for free, or agree to a nominal service charge

thing is, they take an e650 and an s670, charge you s670 price then get to sell the e650 as an s650 ... they aren't stuck with a one-off product

There is precedence for lid swap, some dealers do the colored Genesis lids that way. The dealer gets a stack of colored lid inserts, all the grills come black and the dealer swaps out for the color they pick.

I spoke to Weber CS last night, they said the hoods are not interchangeable ? There is a space in the front of the E series , which the S series doesn't have, (that's why some people complained of the E's not getting so hot).I found a local dealer for a 2009 S-670 delivered for $1900, but not willing to swap out hoods .I think I'm gonna go with the 670, I mean any company's SS is going to get discolored , I see alot of SS grills in all the big stores and online , I guess it can't be too bad .Thanks

My wife wants the E-650 in Black, I want the S-670, can anyone post pics of what the SS hood looks like after it's been used for a while ? I don't mean to drive everyone nuts but I want this grill to last a while and I want to be happy with my decision.THANKS

Back