Bean with Bacon Soup.

timothy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Growing up as a kid on the south side of Chicago, Campbell's Soup was right across the tracks. I loved the B W B soup back then but they must have changed the recipe cause it just doesn't taste the same.
This is a very close copy, and it's good ( if your a fan )
http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2011/01/bean-with-bacon-soup-recipe.html#axzz3ta7RHENF

Edit: I should add that the stock is the key. I smoked two fresh ham hocks and used some leftover smoked neck bones and a rib tip.

Tim

Last edited:
Looks good Tim. Seems as we get older those things from the past that tasted so good now don't taste the same as they used too. Growing up in the 'burbs of Chicago (Franklin Park) nothing was better than a bowl of Cambells chicken noodle soup on a cold winter's day.
I hadn't had that in many years as I'm on a sodium restricted diet and Cambells doesn't make a reduced sodium one I've ever seen. About a year ago Barb picked up one by mistake at the store, so I decide I would give it a try.
Not only did it taste different than I remember the salt content was off the charts, two tablespoons and I was done with it.
Although I still use Cambells cream of mushroom and cream of chicken that require it, but I order 12 packs of no sodium from Amazon.

A few others I miss, Scotch Broth and Pepper pot.
Back then Mom used to hang our clothes on a clothesline. When Campbells had that big smoke stack going, once a month we'd get a lot of soot in the air and on the clothes. She'd called and complain, saying they were burning cardboard or such. ( which was the truth ) Next day a salesman would knock on the door with a couple of cases of soup and apologize for any troubles.

Back