Anyone tried this fan?

WBegg

TVWBB Pro
With the Aussie to US dollar exchange rates, and the lack of availability of the Delta 50mm fan that everyone seems to be using, I searched for and ordered an alternative.

http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/blowers/0126414/

It's made by Sunon, and supposed to have magnetic bearings (whatever that means).

The price is unbeatable. I can get it from RS Components, free shipping, here in Australia for AUD $9.80. The same fan from Digikey Australia is $13 AUD and they require a $200 purchase to get free shipping. (not to mention the Delta 50mm is ~$20 AUD).

Has anyone tried this fan??? It does have 1 less CFM than the Delta fan (5.7) but I never run my fan (60mm 6.7 CFM) past a max of about 30-40%.

I'll have to whip up a blower design to try it out, and let you guys know how it performs.

b5ADfOq.jpg

This is the same type of blower that I used in the past. Works fine, mine was setup to maximum 30%.

Don't buy them from RS but get a cheapie from ebay or aliexpress.

for my 'custom' HM builds I'm planning on using 5v fans....I agree that my needs are low -cfms. I picked up some brushless blowers like these 5v, 4cfm (140ma) for $2/each from ali....

I'm planning on running the entire HM/fan off 5v so I can see how long it runs with those standard 5v phone battery packs.....

I'm planning on running the entire HM/fan off 5v so I can see how long it runs with those standard 5v phone battery packs.....

Great idea for a custom build. You can eliminate the OKI-78SR-5/1.5-W36H-C 5v regulator and some filtering components, reducing price even more.

I sat down today and designed rotary style damper/fan based on Ralph's design and one I saw on Thingiverse, to fit the Sunon 50x20 fan. It, of course, uses an MG90S servo and Home Depot style RJ45 jack. I connected the fan and servo to the jack with servo connectors, just in case I need to replace any components in the future.

I've posted the design on Thingiverse if anyone would like to print their own. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1177115

gn4XCU7.jpg

rkTXQ5k.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:
I think "based on" is a very loose term....
The majority of those parts are direct rips from my RD3 design and I find it very unethical of you to have taken my work and done with it as you have here.

Sorry Ralph, but I needed something to fit this fan, and didn't feel like re-inventing the wheel. Your design is highly respected, and works brilliantly, so I decided to go with this format.

After all, this is an open source project, and sharing is a big part of it.

Sorry Ralph, but I needed something to fit this fan, and didn't feel like re-inventing the wheel. Your design is highly respected, and works brilliantly, so I decided to go with this format.

After all, this is an open source project, and sharing is a big part of it.

Yah, I guess it is easier stealing the wheel than inventing it, like I said, very unethical....
Adding to that, the fact that you did this, and referenced me, without having the decency to contact me first makes it all the worse... Honestly man, WOW. "some people"....

Yah, I guess it is easier stealing the wheel than inventing it, like I said, very unethical....
Adding to that, the fact that you did this, and referenced me, without having the decency to contact me first makes it all the worse... Honestly man, WOW. "some people"....

Sorry if I've disrespected you Ralph, but how am I being unethical? I simply made a change to a design idea that was available on this forum. A well designed, proven design. I thought this forum was for an open source project to share ideas with other members.

I didn't use your files, I don't have your files, you don't share your files. I simply used your idea (shared on this forum) to create a system to test the Suno 50x20 fan alternative.

Again, sorry if I have disrespected you, it was not my intent. If anyone else here feels I'm being unethical, then don't download the files I have supplied.

Sorry if I've disrespected you Ralph, but how am I being unethical? I simply made a change to a design idea that was available on this forum. A well designed, proven design. I thought this forum was for an open source project to share ideas with other members.

I didn't use your files, I don't have your files, you don't share your files. I simply used your idea (shared on this forum) to create a system to test the Suno 50x20 fan alternative.

Again, sorry if I have disrespected you, it was not my intent. If anyone else here feels I'm being unethical, then don't download the files I have supplied.

Since you designed your own, I don't see how there's any issue of ethics involved. I also applaud you for making the design publically available. The more unrestricted access, the better!

I've added another option to the above damper design, that may or may not be better ... a 3 hole design. The previous damper has a total of 891 mm2 cross sectional area in the inlet, and the new design increases it a bit to 909 mm2. The servo in the previous version has to move ~144 Degrees to go from fully open to fully closed while the newer 3 hole design only has to move 60 degrees. this may be a bad thing though, in that I may be losing some resolution in the servo by limiting total movement.

Am I right in my thinking? Will the loss in resolution matter that much?

This new design started in an effort to design a "damper only" setup, with no fan to limit the natural draw of air from my WSM. Really no reason not to use a fan, this will be more of an experiment.

The files have been added to the thingiverse link above.

HHKqbJl.jpg

Taking this theme even a step further, and being so impressed with Ralph's RD3 design, I sat down to attempt to create a similar Blower/Damper to allow add-ons such as the available remote TC board. The design has interchangeable bottom case held on by a dovetail of sorts. The box pictured is just a keystone with no other cut-outs, but could be modified in limitless ways.

Again, this was designed around the less expensive Sunon 50x20 fan, but It may fit the Delta, I just don't have one on hand to check the fit.

I'll post my files here if there is any interest, but I don't want to further anger the "Damper Gods".

BhtREmD.jpg

Since I did not jumper the wires for the external probes, I decided to get one of these printed up by a local printer. This guys prints are just amazing and I got the Sunon fan from Digikey here in the US. The fit on the exhaust is really precise, same for the cat5 jack, nice job.

kpHrGBmF025-6KQoBzQrdH8oJalJDrLuJ01ywJ47fw3X57Cp9gkaCd0uh_HU0vTp3AXRHY3tBmNPXvHuJ7guMKwh3wwI4xtZJb6R5XShDU9kQ_y6mXf9kcm36mMmiQ3_ojQu2wvBJFJa3lwRC5ldiiMgyMVvUGFzSn_CY9Wf3WYZSzlPQ7vtgzHaXS5rW-dKkpDkZNCRSPcYnZWxKzzLMz-gbcw6Kwtt9xOccLzXSf0wEYOuSx3UFoEvJ9XDnGOpqS4giflSMXQJoCrnsaUdCQqMw2Of1F-sOtb0aa3OnrEulGNmFNPZ7noxd3PxFxwMLjKAxDmXZdcy2kFZWY8whMC7BKPj_0zuO-fyxBLi7Y-9afllyH25JjaqYlGzmQaptqW7I60uAF7XTAz4uT_5g3DQmeUSoUQLN_XBiQ2L702oZyoLs5T6UPFLCQ76iOUhTaGEhaOC4PdjTiVtWWuwnWr3YKQ8LvbMTUZCEqbqOpEdBJC8YAzc9sjdJUC2e_xjR1YtBAtfUAzKIb4bPNYwjbtelkcuobxKqLQd82CbLELIe5_EvyeRlKO030FpTDryRmLD=w1055-h791-no

Mounting it up tomorrow to smoke some bacon.

Last edited:
great to see you like, mate. Good luck on the bacon. What's your curing recipe by the way? I have used salt, sugar, and Cure #2 for a while, but I recently tried the Bradley Maple Bacon Cure, and it was awesome. I would highly suggest it.

Back