No Ethernet/WiFi :(

DavidAsman

hey everyone... n00b here, so try to bear with me please!

got everything connected and software loaded. booted with the Edimax USB Wifi plugged in. i see my pit temp and can scroll through the settings, but i'm not getting any IP through either ethernet or wifi. i've reboot several times, used known working cat5 cables and known working router ports. i don't see the 'heatermeter' SSID.

any advice?

EDIT: from my router status page, there's zero activity coming from the rPi ethernet connection. as though nothing is connected at all. 0 bytes. it appears as though the rPi has transmit/receive lights on its connector...nothing blinking there.

Last edited:
First off, make sure you have the ethernet cable plugged into the silver CAT5 jack on the rPi, not the black CAT5 jack that is on the HM board. Your router should assign an IP to the HM when you connect that cable...

As for the WiFi, by default it starts up in Access Point mode, meaning, it is essentially functioning as a WiFi hotspot. So you can connect directly to the HM using a WiFi device like a smart phone, tablet, laptop etc. Just use your device to scan for available networks, you should see "heatermeter". When you connect the DHCP server in the HM will assign your device an IP, then you can connect to the HM web page using http://192.168.201.1/ or http://OpenWrt.local/. From there you can enter the CONFIGURATION screen and setup your HM, LAN, WiFi etc....

Yep...It's plugged into the rPi, not the HM. And not getting any network. Could my rPi be DOA? Or some sort of SD issue? OS issue? Seems simple enough, but not getting any love from the rPi networkwise.

Well, a brand new ATMega comes blank, so the HM will not function until the rPi has booted the linkmeter OS and flashed the ATMega. So if you are working with all new hardware and your HM is booting that says at some point the rPi was working (long enough to flash the ATMega at least)
You can plug a monitor into the HDMI port of the rPi and see what is going on there, look at the status LED's on the rPi etc.
You can power the rPi on its own via USB cable and it should load the linkmeter software network and all, it should look pretty much like a functioning HM except it wont be getting any temp data from the HM board (since it is not connected)
Did you scan for WiFi networks with a wifi device and not see "heatermeter"?
Have you tried checking out http://heatermeter.com/devices/ to see if it lists anything there?

Scanned for the network, typed in the name, checked the /devices/ page...no dice. No lights are blinking on the rPi port and my router reports no transmission on the port the rPi is connected to...swapped cables with other working devices...tried it on other ports.

This is what I get for hastily putting the HM in its case...I'll pull it all back apart and see what I can figure out through the HDMI. Thanks, Ralph!

Some of the older RasPi's had a problem with the 25Mhz crystal that controls both the ethernet chip, and the USB ports. You might want to verify your RasPi is working outside of the context of using it with the heatermeter.

I believe it's the HeaterMeter image version that is the problem. You need the snapshot version that works with the rPi A+ in order to get full functionality out of a Raspberry Pi B+. The rPi B+ won't boot properly with the main image version.

Back