Complete n00b... Where to next...

Dave Robbo

Hey,

So I purchased a kit in January this year and only just got around to making it up.

HM v4.2.4 with TC and a rPi model B

I have the following TC and Probes

K type thermocouple 4"probe with Clip, Smoker, Oven

PRO-SERIES® HIGH TEMP COOKING PROBE

So I think I successfully soldered it together and connected the rPi and programmed the SD card.

I insert SD card, plug in a micro usb to the rPi board and turn on the switch!

HM display lights up, flashes up on the screen for 1sec "NO PIT PROBE" then displays the following, then after about 10sec it shows the IP of 192.168.201.1 for the 20 or sec and then back to the following:

jt9g7t.jpg

Is that correct? Have I connected something backwards? I did solder in, but then removed R18 10K resistor (helps to read all the instructions in the paragraph)

If everything is correct, this is where I get completely lost in the configuration step.

Am I meant to have a ethernet cable plugged into the rPi?

I did purchase a wifi dongle based on the rtl8192cu chipset.

I am missing something fundamentally basic here, or have I monumentally screwed up?

Whilst sitting pondering and reading the forums for guidance, I plugged in the TC (+to+ and -to-) and 1 probe. The TC temp shot up to 630F and the probe 3 came up on the 2nd line of the display showing 108F. So to see if they actually did anything, I held both probe tips inbetween my fingertips, the TC probe dropped into the high 500F and the cooking probe rose to 130F. Why did the TC probe temp drop? Is this from assembling it incorrectly?

cheers

DR

Last edited:
You're on your way.

You need to login to the web config and change Probe 0 type Thermocouple.

You'll also need to change your other probe to the right type as well.

Ethernet to the rPi board is easiest, but the wireless adapter should also go into AP mode.

Next steps https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/wiki/HeaterMeter-4.x-Software#configuration

Hey Steve,

I went the ethernet route and got it all setup, took a lil fiddling in the wifi settings - turned off the HM and and disconnected the ethernet, turned back on and it picked up the correct wifi IP address, logged back in and configured the TC and probes and looks to reading correctly, TC and all 3 probes reading within 1C of each other.

Now to have a play with the fan.... Any tips?

thanks

DR

So I wired up the following, then used my multi meter to see if I was getting any voltage output readings on the red and green wires. I get nothing, even though its displaying 100% fan.

So I read/search the forums, does the fan/blower only work with an external 12V >1A power supply (center positive). If so I have a few here that are suitable, just need to get the right size jack from the hobby store.

DR

358c4yf.jpg

the fan will not work when you power the HM through the rPi, you must power with the 12V ps connected to the HM (ONLY, do not connect both USB power and 12V at the same time)

The power supply should be 12V center positive, 1A min (you can use a PS with higher amperage, that is not a problem)

Cheers Ralph, thanks for the confirmation.

Will source the right size jack some time this week. Will let you know how I go.

thanks

DR

So, I have the right jack and a more than sufficient power supply 12V 4.1A (50W max)

Just bench testing, I connect the power supply (rPi power supply not connected), and the HM comes to life, does the usual startup. Plug the fan in and set fan to manual and I can then manually ramp the fan speeds up and down. All good I presume.

So today I setup to test getting my weber kettle up to temp and maintaining a constant temp, no fan connected - have not got time/materials at present to make something up. Running off power supply, HM showing temp increasing - I do some other random bits and pieces around the house for about half hour and then I log on to HM devices, and nothing!! TIME OUT!! So I turn the power supply off, and watch it boot up, the IP address shows up, the same one that has been working previously, try to connect again over WIFI, and TIME OUT.

I turn and off and disconnect the power supply, connect up the rPi power supply, turn on and the HM starts up as normal, and WIFI works.

I assume I have a bad connection between the HM board and rPi board?

What else should I be looking for?

DR

It could be a lot of things really, could be SD Card related, not seated well etc. Could be a bad connection/flaky solder joint somewhere, or intermittent power perhaps? How well does the PS plug fit the jack? Can you wiggle the plug and make the HM reset, or flex the board slightly and make the board reset? My first move in a case like that is to quickly reflow solder on the major components and reseat everything and hope that clears things up.

Had to power cycle the access point it was connected to. Something had gone pear shaped, but all working good now.

Even had some time to make a ghetto blower attachment and did a test run. Will post results later and a few pics of the setup.

DR

Back