How big?

James H

TVWBB Pro
Hi all. Happy thanksgiving week! Quick question. How many pound turkey will fit in the wsm 18"? Appreciate your help.

James

Hi James!
I'm cooking a 21.5 pound bird this year on an 18". I believe I've done a 23 pounder in the past - I think that was close to the max.
Good luck, and have a great Thanksgiving!

Stephen

James, cannot comment as i havent tested but I'm glad to see im not the only long islander doing a WSM turkey this year. Im doing an 18 lb'er in my 22" WSM in East Meadow.

The one comment i can add is that dark meat needs more heat then the breast, and the edges of the WSM which aren't protected by the water pan, so if its a tight fit i would try to put the leg side of the bird closer to the warmer edge and the breast closer to the cooler center.

Thanks All!

Looks like we will do a 16 and a 14....all the best to everyone.

PS: Keep LI smokin' Charlie! I am from Glen Cove and one of these days we need to have an LI smokefest.

James

Thanks All!

Looks like we will do a 16 and a 14....all the best to everyone.

PS: Keep LI smokin' Charlie! I am from Glen Cove and one of these days we need to have an LI smokefest.

James

Agreed. I See everyone grilling on built in charcoal grills at Eisenhower park and think that its a perfect location for an epic smoke fest

Back