Help - need help with Linksys WGA11B

Todd Schwartz

After reading all the threads that deal with wireless connection and spending way too many hours these last three days trying to get this to work, I am coming to the forum for support.

I have a Stoker and trying to connect to my local wireless network. I have set static IP for my Stoker, 192.168.130. When connecting it directly to the router (Linksys WRT54G) I can get a great connection and run the Stoker web interface as well as Stokerlog. The issue comes when I try to connect wirelessly through the WGA11B gaming adapter.

I have the wireless adapter configured for my wireless network with WEP security and to assign its IP by DHCP ( I have tried both DHCP and static IP addresses). After I connect the wireless adapter back to the Stoker the second light will light showing wireless connection, but I can not get the first light to light on the wireless adapter that shows ethernet connection unless I move the switch over to X for cross connect.

Regardless, I have not be able to communicate wirelessly between my browser and the Stoker.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Again, for the time being I am just trying to connect within my local network.

Thanks,

Todd

That game adapter is a terrible product. I had 2 of them and then a 3rd due to a return and could only get it working from time to time. I got rid of them and bought a buffalo tech wireless Ethernet adaptor and have never had a problem since. My advice is to not use that product based on my experience.

Linksys Support

try disabling WEP ... one thing at a time, get connectivity then add WEP

why did you decide to use 192.168.130.xx for stoker? if you did, you can't just pull ip's out of the air like that and expect it all to work ... see here

if the router is assigning 192.168.0.10x for clients, set the address of stoker to 109, the gaming adapter to 108 for example and use the same SN mask and gateway

a quick way to get the settings for your gaming adapter (assuming you are using a wireless NIC in your PC) is to get the settings from command prompt:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
C:\Documents and Settings\user>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : aa.someisp.net
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.104
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

use the same SN mask, gateway and the same ip right down to the second digit of the fourth octet of the ip

remember you need to use the same channel and SSID when trying to connect to wireless

Thanks Shawn for the reply -

I brought home a Linksys WGA600 from work yesterday, I configured it for my network and was able to connect to the Stoker through it the first try. Tells me that at least for the WGA600 that I am set up correctly.

I did the above test with WEP on. I tried turning it off with the WGA11B and still no joy.

I went with .130 because I had DHCP set up to dish out up to 50 IP address from .100-.149. Figured .130 would be far enough out of anything that the router would dish out, but still in the range that it would be looking for.

I did both DHCP and static IP on the gaming adapter. I tried both .120 and .129 as static addresses with no luck.

Will spend tonight working with it and see if I can get it to connect. Maybe a fresh attitude and view will help.

Thanks and please correct me if I am off base and point down the right path.
icon_smile.gif

Todd

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have set static IP for my Stoker, 192.168.130 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>ah, I thought you were using 130 for the third octect based on your post given the third octet for Linksys is usually 1 by default

Found a really nice tutorial here with a tip, it says for your device you MUST have SSID broadcast enabled.

Hope you can get it working ... sometimes these things are fiddly but they will work ... I have had a few wireless routers, wired routers and print servers now and getting them working with Nintendo DS, 360, Wii plus the usual devices can be tedious

HTH, good luck!

one other thought, try setting stoker for DHCP, set ip statically in router config by MAC ID (the ip still comes to stoker via DHCP in this manner)

I'm trying to make sure the router grants a lease to that MAC ID if possible AND ensure stoker gets the same IP every time so as not to make you nuts
icon_smile.gif

I got mine working and then would try it a few minutes later w/o changing anything and it would no longer work. With that said I recall two main issues. 1. I believe there is a bug in the wep key where you can only enter in the hex version of the key. 2. There is the switch on the side for x-over cable vs. ethernet cable. I seem to recall I had it in the opposite position to what makes sense to get it working.

Good luck!

Back