2 smaller turkeys or 1 bigger one?

Kevin C

What size turkey can you fit on an 18"? I'm looking to either do 2 around 12lbs each or 1 around 18-20. Thoughts on pros and cons? Thanks

Never done it, but i know on my 18" WSM ( new style deeper water pan) there was a significant heat discrepancy between the top and bottom racks. Bottom was Roughly 25 deg. cooler.
If you 2 simulateously and do one upper grate one lower grate, be prepared to either rotate them as you cook or let one go longer if needed.

Very helpful, Charlie. Thanks!

Still hoping someone can help with the size that'll fit in the 18. This year's my maiden voyage with a turkey and my all-to-trusting wife bought a 20lb bird!

Hey Kevin. I am just south of you in Huntsville AL.

I recommend you ck out The Virtual Weber Bullet for the "how big will fit" answer as well as other questions about cooking a turkey on the WSM.

As far as my preference - I like one big T-bird for no other reason than I just have to be concerned with one prep, cook, carv, etc vs two. I'd cook that 20# bird with the quickness. I have done two before and it starts turning into work pretty quick ...but of course with two birds you can try two recipes: brine differently, fill the cavity with different herbs, spices, and fruit/citrus/veggies, rub differently, smoke with different woods, etc.

However, Cook's Illustrated magazine says, "We find that the larger the bird, the higher the likelihood that it will be overcooked. With its delicate breast meat and tougher legs, a turkey is already hard to cook. But if the bird weighs 22 pounds, it's very difficult to get the meat close to the bone cooked through without causing the outer layers to dry out." Cook's recommendation—instead of cooking one large turkey, cook two turkeys weighing 12-15 pounds each.

I hope this helps. Cheers!

Last edited:
Hey Kevin. I am just south of you in Huntsville AL.

I recommend you ck out The Virtual Weber Bullet for the "how big will fit" answer as well as other questions about cooking a turkey on the WSM.

As far as my preference - I like one big T-bird for no other reason than I just have to be concerned with one prep, cook, carv, etc vs two. I'd cook that 20# bird with the quickness. I have done two before and it starts turning into work pretty quick ...but of course with two birds you can try two recipes: brine differently, fill the cavity with different herbs, spices, and fruit/citrus/veggies, rub differently, smoke with different woods, etc.

However, Cook's Illustrated magazine says, "We find that the larger the bird, the higher the likelihood that it will be overcooked. With its delicate breast meat and tougher legs, a turkey is already hard to cook. But if the bird weighs 22 pounds, it's very difficult to get the meat close to the bone cooked through without causing the outer layers to dry out." Cook's recommendation—instead of cooking one large turkey, cook two turkeys weighing 12-15 pounds each.

I hope this helps. Cheers!

Dwain,
That Cook's Illustrated quote was what made me question my original thought to do one bigger bird. We ended up deciding on a 19.5# bird that we bought tonight. My girlfriend was worried that there wouldn't be enough leftovers for sandwiches the next day, so I ended up buying a 5# turkey breast as well, to cook just for leftovers. This is my first thanksgiving with the WSM. I've smoked turkey's the last 3 years, but am excited to try one on the WSM.

Dwain,
That Cook's Illustrated quote was what made me question my original thought to do one bigger bird. We ended up deciding on a 19.5# bird that we bought tonight. My girlfriend was worried that there wouldn't be enough leftovers for sandwiches the next day, so I ended up buying a 5# turkey breast as well, to cook just for leftovers. This is my first thanksgiving with the WSM. I've smoked turkey's the last 3 years, but am excited to try one on the WSM.

If your on the fence of 1 bird vs two birds one whole + 1 breast is often the perfect solution as it seems there's always left over dark meat long after the light meat is gone in my experience.

Back