Login in two different HMs from the same browser?

AlamLuis

Hi gents,
I have two different HMs running at the same time; one forwarding port 80 and the other one forwarding port 8080... When I login into the first one, can access the configuration screen and change whatever I want to change. If I switch screens and login into the second HM, when I return to the first one I have to re-login, loosing this time the second HM. Any clue why is this happening?... I would like to be logged in both HMs at the same time... Is it possible?...
Many thanks for your help!

It has to do with the sysauth cookie value. The cookie is tied to the hostname, regardless of port number, so when you hit heatermeter.example.com:80 or heatermeter.example.com:8080, the one you logged into last overrides the sysauth value.

A simple solution would be to configure a 2nd DNS entry that resolved back to the same IP, something like heatermeter1.example.com and heatermeter2.example.com

Now you'll just need to ensure that you always go to heatermeter1.example.com:80 and heatermeter2.example.com:8080 so that the cookies remain different.

You can stay logged into both of them if you open them in different tabs. What you're losing is the session ID in the url, something like ;stok=dcd12566d4d85b5298e37a482e522ae7 that identifies the session to the server to be able to know you're not getting cross-site reference attacked. You can use your browser's back button to any URL that still has the stok in it and you'll still be authenticated, but if you hit the root page directly again you'll need to generate an new stok by logging in again. Your old stok would still work but you don't know what that is.

A somewhat simple way around this is log in then go to the Home page from the link on the menu, which wont be http://xxx/luci/ it will be http://xxx/lucl/admin/lm with an stok and use that as your bookmark location instead of the root page. You'll have to log in the first time you use the link every 24 hours or every reboot, but the link will keep you logged in. However, you will HAVE to log in if you haven't yet, you won't see the authless version of the Home page any more from this link.

It works well if I open two different instances of the browser but not if I open two tabs in the same IE instance...
Trying Edge instead of IE, I can open and keep authenticated two tabs in the same instance...

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Oh that is very interesting! I am guessing that IE stores cookies by site excluding the port number and therefore confuses the two cookies for the two different sites. Good job IE! Glad to hear it is fixed in Edge.

Back