Custom Weber Kettle Cart

Brad Y.

Pics from last weekend and today:

010.jpg

I was able to make good progress today. About 5 hours later:

001.jpg

002.jpg

Yes, it is high. About 40" to the top.

My main question to anyone who may have experience. Will the two handles be sufficient to support the kettle? I have a couple of options available to help support. Conduit clamps and some roofing strap pieces. But I would prefer to just use the handles.

Right now, about $235 in lumber and hardware. And about 15 hours in time.

Almost done. Just a few things left to do. Still contemplating how best to secure the kettle other than the handles. I did fire it up yesterday to season it.

cart1.jpg

cart2.jpg

cart3.jpg

Now you need a place to put your lid so it dont put black rings on your cart, or get rim rash etc.

IMG_20151031_093240_227_zpswrrj9bbh.jpg

IMG_20151031_093311_233_zpsjgbstgcd.jpg

Looks like you did an outstanding job, wish I had the skills to make one as I could put both on it. The cart came out very nice

Now you need a place to put your lid so it dont put black rings on your cart, or get rim rash etc.

I have found that the lid will hang on the back corner of the cart with no issues, but I am looking into alternatives.

Nah, that cart was a nice first try, but it is way too flimsy. As a favor, I'll take it off your hands so you can build a sturdy one. Of course, I'll wait until you stain it first, just to give you some practice. ;)

Seriously though, very nice job, and it is super sturdy looking. Several of our larger members could dance on top of that thing at once and it wouldn't even show any signs of strain.

I built a cart for two kettles and found that fence hardware (the piece that is hinged and has a slot cut) works good for a lid holder I suspended my kettles with heavy chain and it has lasted very well

Been busy for the last two weeks and haven't had a lot of time to work on it. (I have been cooking on it though)

Sunday morning I finally got the lid hanging portion done. Built an extension on the kettle end and attached two conduit clamps to hold the Weber hanger. Works pretty good and the hanger can be removed if necessary.

007.jpg

008.jpg

Ordered a stainless steel sheet from Online Metals for the prep area and got it delivered for $71. A local guy quoted me $460. Sorry, but no. That will go on after I stain.

I tried the Thompson's Teak Timber Oil on a piece of lumber and it looks really good. Hoping to get that accomplished this weekend before kickoff on Sunday.

I built a cart for two kettles and found that fence hardware (the piece that is hinged and has a slot cut) works good for a lid holder I suspended my kettles with heavy chain and it has lasted very well

I had a few options that I found at HD, but none would work as well as this, or at all.

I read somewhere else about someone suspending the kettles with chain. Are they stable without a lot of movement?

Yes I get little to no movement from the kettles being on chains you will definitely need an extra set of hands I don't know if you already ordered metal but I found a local shop to cut me a piece of granite for prep area picked a design he had some extra and got it for next to nothing looks amazing

Yes I get little to no movement from the kettles being on chains you will definitely need an extra set of hands I don't know if you already ordered metal but I found a local shop to cut me a piece of granite for prep area picked a design he had some extra and got it for next to nothing looks amazing

I thought about doing a piece of granite but went with the SS. $71 delivered for a 31x34 sheet.

Can you take some pictures of how you suspended it with chain and post it?

I didn't suspend it with a chain. I used the handles and 4 rafter ties secured underneath the 2x4's and bent upward at a 45° angle to fit underneath the lip of the kettle.

IMG_00991.jpg

IMG_01041.jpg

Back