Looking next season advice for going pro

Tom Winslow

Ok so after our ending outside of Columbus, OH with a breakdown that just ended our season we are looking to next season.

We spent a year in amateurs and now plan to go pro.

We have two 14.5" WSMs and a 22.5" WSM. We cook chicken and ribs on one 14.5" WSM and I can cook two pork butts on one 14.5" WSM.

I am thinking 1-2 briskets on the 22.5". WSM

Does this seem workable?

Due to limited funds we are able to do 2 events for sure.

Anyone know of a first or second year event that is a Jack qualifier. I know Buckhannon, wv is an auto but even with taking a first place ribs in the amateur backyard event back in June there are some really heavy hitters competing in pro so I doubt we will be back in 2016 unless we win money early on and can fund a third one. Odds are against us in the smaller first and second year events as we are still new but I want to at least be shooting for the Jack.

Probably crazy to shoot for the Jack but after the breakdown and missing the Shade Tree I don't want to hold off on the plan to go pro this coming year and I still want to try and get to Lynchburg at some point. Mainly the reason to look for smaller events that some of heavy hitters may be busy.

I just think it's going to be tough getting there.

Anyways anything I should know or expect with going pro?

With 3 smokers, you should have no issue cooking a full 4 meat KCBS event.

Personally, I believe it isn't wise to plan on cooking your chicken and ribs on the same 14.5. Let the chicken cook in there by itself, especially as it will often be cooked at a higher temp than the other meats. You also don't want to risk raw chicken juice falling on your ribs. I would also recommend using your 22.5 as the primary cooker, with the additional 14.5 for a backup or possible finishing big meats while wrapped.

When I cook, I am still using a single 55gal UDS, so I had to set my timeline accordingly. Had to work out times and temps to ensure that the big meats were off in time for the ribs to go on. Knowing you, I would suggest that you work on tracking practice cooks for both butts and brisket individually (a few times for each), and get a general schedule to follow. When you have a finished product you are happy with, as soon as possible thereafter, try to repeat the steps that worked for you, and try to replicate it. If you are close, then this could be your baseline to work into the overall timeline. Keep good notes about both the cook, and the meat itself (brand, pre-trim weight, post-trim weight, etc).

Once you have your butt and brisket timeline, try plugging them into an expected KCBS turn-in time of 1:00 and 1:30, allowing time for boxing and running (15-20 min initially), and holding (amount of time required will depend on your practice, what is the minimum hold to get you the finished product you will be satisfied with). Now that you have assigned times on your schedule, is there an opening to allow for 2-3 racks of ribs to go on the 22.5? Have you already pulled either the butts or brisket to open up cooker space, or should they be wrapped and can you move them to finish on the backup 14.5?

I don't like the idea of you relying on a 14.5 to cook your ribs if you don't have to, as giving yourself 2-3 full racks to choose from instead of having to pre-trim racks to fit will make your life easier when it comes time for boxing.

Everyone always says it, but a Pro contest moves fast, and the first one can be overwhelming. Figuring out how to best utilize your cookers for your schedule will help immensely.

Rusty for President 2016 !!

cook the briskets on your 22" first, then rest them for 5 hours while you cook your ribs. Ditto for pork butts followed by chicken on one of the 14.5's

Hey Tom,
Well, I can give you advice on the smokers but I can't give you advice on contests to get to the Jack. But I am very sorry to hear that you missed it on the first go around. Just hang in there and don't pressue yourself to get back to it. Enjoy the barbecuing first and the rest will come.
I think your plan sounds good. You know I've cooked all four in one 14.5 and done alright. The only meat that I hesitate on, with all four meats in one small cooker is the ribs. And you can see from Scott's comments he's a little iffy on it too. The cooker is small and only allows for maybe 8 ribs on the rack. I hate it when the ribs touch the sides of a WSM as it burns it up too fast.
But let's assume we do it your way. With two 14.5WSM, I'd cook the pork butts first on one 14 WSM(brisket on 22.5 as you suggest). Then put the ribs in the empty 14.5. When the pork butts come out, put in the chicken. That way, every meat will be in its own smoker. Check the fuel often and and think about removing the ash after a few hours as the buildup of ash will kill your cook on a 14.5. I've thought about buying an extra bottom with fresh hot coals, just because it is so darn small and easy to switch out the bottom. Or use a fuel source to gives less ash. A long cook and ash buildup are your enemies on the 14.5. Good luck Tom.

Back