Port Forwarding Tutorial?

MichaelJF

TVWBB Member
Is there a port forwarding tutorial somewhere? I was able to navigate the wiki and have the Link Meter set up and working on my LAN but I'm a total noob and just don't know where to start with accessing it outside of my LAN.

It's kinda hard to make a port forwarding tutorial because it's not something you do in the HM, you have to do that in your router, and every router is a bit different.

The most simple scenario is to log into your router config, locate the Port Forwarding section and enter a new rule forwarding incoming port 80 to port 80 at the IP of your HM and save.

Each router will have a different menu setup that you have to navigate to get to the port forwarding section, some internet services and/or routers will reserve and not allow you to use port 80, in which case you need to add another listening port to the HM and forward that port instead.

So give it a try and see if port 80 will work on your system, if not I will point you to the info you need to add another listening port to the HM.

The concept behind port forwarding is pretty basic.

One thing that you may want to use is to use a dynamic DNS service that gives you a domain name to use instead of having to remember your IP address (which changes sometimes also) - say with no-ip.org or a similar service. You can use the basic functions for free. The URL will be something like: MichaelJF.no-ip.org:8001 (or whatever port you setup). If your routers public IP address changes you'll have to update the dynamic DNS service. There are some utilities that are supposed to do this automatically though.

One thing to keep in mind a lot of IP's are starting to block port 80 on their end so you might have to use a different port like 8080 or something like that. I had to because cox will not allow traffic on 80. I use COX so if you have that keep that in mind.

Back