Newbie question - How do I asssure that I have everything to build a HM quickly?

Karl Vacek

TVWBB Member
I'm new to barbecuing and have only done a couple of cooks, but it's enough (especially with winter coming here in the Chicago area) to know that I really don't love going outside every few minutes to play with dampers. The idea of a temperature control/blower sounds great, but I can't justify buying an expensive commercial one at this stage, and besides the HeaterMeter looks like the best option available. Built and repaired lots of electronics since the 50's - basic construction and simple troubleshooting aren't an issue. I do most all troubleshooting and work on my own computer cars, motorcycle, and computers.

I've dragged through many threads and several websites, the Wiki, etc. I feel a little more familiar with the terminology and am less confused now, but I still am not completely sure what's the latest and most complete way to configure my HM. I also haven't found any simple way to order either a complete kit or at least several kits that will allow me to quickly build a complete, fully-featured HeaterMeter. I want pit temp, at least one food probe, wireless monitoring and control (Raspberry Pi), and logging.

I really want to at least build the basic unit and get in at least one test cook before smoking a turkey on Thanksgiving. If I can get everything now and just build it and set it up all at once, that's better.

- I don't see, for instance, food probes anywhere and can't find a reference to what ones the meter will accommodate.

- I have no problem with electronic soldering, and if necessary probably can set my heat gun to solder SMD's (I have a good infinitely-variable heat gun and a Fluke meter with a precision temp probe), but I'd much rather buy any SMD boards soldered and tested.

- While I admire the resourcefulness of those who have access to 3-D printing and want to print their own case, I don't have access or interest. And I recognize that it's all about the quest and proving that you can print a case, but I'd really like to use a metal or metal and Bakelite case and not worry about melting my custom case. There must be a recommended standard box that I can drill and punch?

How can I compile a comprehensive list of what is optimum and the latest, and figure out where to get everything?

Thanks!
Karl Vacek

1 Bryan sells HM kits w SMD already soldered (not sure about bare boards w/o SMD soldered, but you can get either elsewhere). 'All you gotta do is put it together'. And figure out a way to mount it to grill, house it, tweak it to your grill, etc. ;) Ain't no plug & play - not even the commercial ones do that.
2 Good luck finding an all metal damper. If you melt a case, you probably toasted a few probes & let the magic smoke out of a few parts. I've cooked in 90* weather at 300* with the case sitting next to the gasket, didn't even get soft.
People aren't 3D printing out of novelty - its the cheapest & easiest way to get a good fitting case - and it's about the only way you'll get a damper. I have a hand cut sheet metal fan mount & lego case - 3D printed case & damper is 100x better (only had to buy the 3d printer, figure out how to use it, buy hundreds of dollars worth of filament to get my $20 case....) There's a sticky where you can get them printed.

http://heatermeter.myshopify.com/products/heatermeter-v4-2-kit

That's the basic kit with all the solder components. with it you can add the optional raspberry pi, and other things. Also in the store are cases and whatnot.

You'd have to ask some one here to send you a damper, as I don't think they're on the store. Check in the 3D print thread.

And for food probes, I think most people here prefer the Thermoworks Pro series probes (http://www.thermoworks.com/products/alarm/chefalarm.html?whence=#ProbeTab)

As for a thermocouple for a pit temp, you just need a Type K. Thermoworks sells them, or you can get them off eBay or some people here also sell them.

Also, where in Chicago are you? I live near Elgin.

Everyone has done a pretty good job of answering your questions, but as far as food probes, there's information under the "HeaterMeter Probes" section of the wiki
https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/wiki/HeaterMeter-Probes

The 3D printed case is just a custom fit case. You can put it in any enclosure you want. There are headers for the probe inputs and you can solder on to the power connector if you want to do panel mount jacks. The thermocouple input would be pretty tough to move though.

I'm down in St Louis, quickly approaching BBQ in the snow weather, and share your feelings about not really wanting to mess with dampers and such all the time. In fact, I often tell people that if it wasn't for the ease of use of my Big Green Egg, plus a temperature controller (I was previously using a PitmasterIQ), I'm not sure I'd have gotten into smoking. Lots of folks will tell you that you have to learn on a leaky charcoal grill so that you can learn to do it the hard way, but I have no interest in that. I want the ease of an oven with the smoke of charcoal. My heatermeter and Big Green Egg give me that.

As far as probes, I highly recommend probes from thermoworks. There are a range of options that should fit your needs. You can go cheap with a thermocouple probe from ebay or amazon if you want, but I think the food probes from thermoworks are worth the cost. I love the little needle probes for smoking things like pork chops.

For a case, I agree, I don't really like the 3d printed stuff. I wanted metal, or wood. I attempted to make myself a wooden case, but then my wife and I bought a new house and are still trying to sell our old one, and I haven't even had time to get my workshop back together. So I'm currently using a 3d printed case plus rotodamper that i got from Ralph here on the forum. I LOVE the rotodamper and the sliding back case I got from him, and have no fear whatsoever of them melting near the pit. But some day I want to build me something out of metal or wood that looks a little more polished. I'd also love to make it weatherproof so I could just leave it out on the grill all the time. For now though, 3d printing will suffice.

Thanks for the fast answers. I'm certainly not expecting Plug 'n Play, but I don't necessarily see this as a hobby effort but rather something I'll do myself because it seems to be the best way to get and understand a good system.

I used to work with thermocouples and RTD's, but that was decades ago and whatever I thought I knew is lost now.

I thought the case was the case, and the damper was an accessory to use or not. Doesn't the control modulate the blower speed to control air flow, or am I confused?

Since Maverick seem most highly recommended on the Wiki, and Maverick doesn't seem to make the ET 72/73 pit probes longer than 24", but food probes up to 6', is there any reason not to just use a food probe in the smoker too?

And Benjamin, I'm located in the close-in western suburbs - Riverside.

Thanks all !!
Karl

The case holds the whole Heatermeter unit with the RasPi and will have all of your connections on it.

The Damper (whatever you choose. Microdamper/RotoDamper/ something you make yourself) is what the Heatermeter outputs to. Generally they house the fan/blower and a servo. The servo will control an air damper to regulate pit temperature, and the blower well... Blows air around to compliment the servo operated damper. These are a single housing that holds both parts. But you can certainly get by with just a blower or just a damper. But I think the control is better with both because you can completely close off the pit to choke down a hot fire. Or open it wide up and blow like hell to stoke the coals.

Food probes can be used as a pit probe, but they're generally thinner and faster responding. This can cause issue with the reading of the pit jumping around and causing the Heatermeter to change its output value all jittery like. I use a ceramic fiber insulated thermocouple with an operating max of 2200*F. I bought and expensive one because I don't want to have to do it again because it got too close to the fire.

A lot of the acclaim to Thermoworks probes is that they're more durable (so I've read). Mavericks probes will also work just fine. But if you're going to spend some money on this whole project I don't think the Thermoworks ones are prohibitively more expensive. They also feel higher quality In my opinion. As such I have 3 of the 90* bend ones for use in my grill.

And yes, you're a lot closer than me to the city. Lol. This will be the first year I Barbeque through the winter. And the Heatermeter will help!

OK - I now assume that the HeaterMeter kit itself has a fan but does not include any damper. Next question then. I see the Rotodamper mentioned, and some people also mentioning various dampers, but I have no idea how to choose. Advice on which damper to start with, anyone?

Back