Maryland Pit Beef Question?

Don Cash

TVWBB Gold Member
Finishing up the screened in porch project from **** today with help from some friends...Planning on making MPB for them as a "thank you" but didn't reread the recipe before this morning. Advises to "marinade" in the rub for 24 hours...Ooops! I only have a few hours. I made extra rub and plan to sprinkle the meat with it after it's shaved (like I do with rubs when pulling butts).

Anyone see any problems with doing this? Will it do anything? Worth it or forget it?

TIA!

When I'm short on time I'll inject marinade into the meat. If the marinade has chunks in it strain it first so the liquid will get into the needle.

I used this recipe but with an eye of round instead of top round...Gotta say, it was great! I had a Baltimoron here to tell me what he thought..."More "char" and rarer!", was his suggestion. Have to agree. Great flavor. Next time 24 hours in the rub and then direct heat for less time. I over cooked this one. Won't happen again. Great sammie, for sure!!

Eye of Round.

IMG_3125.jpg

Rubbed and ready for the mere 3 hour "marinade".

IMG_3126.jpg

On...as hot as I could get indirect heat. 350+ the whole time.

IMG_3127.jpg

Ready for the 20 minute rest.

IMG_3129.jpg

Slicing as thin as we could. Looks more done in the pics than it is.

IMG_3130.jpg

Ready for the sammie assembly.

IMG_3131.jpg

Plated with some store bought salsa (Tom Leonard's Farmer's Market) and chips.

IMG_3132.jpg

Can't wait to do this again. I'm charring the crud out of it next time and pulling it much earlier.

Great sandwich!!!!

Baltimoron??!! Is that a real word??
icon_razz.gif

I gotta tell ya Don, I've never heard of a Pit Beef Sandwich or Pit Beef before... (I had to Google it to realize how lame I really am!)
I gotta get outta wisconsin a little more!
icon_biggrin.gif

Butt what you've done looks like GREAT food to me and something I'd DIVE into before the gun!
W0W! I am gonna give this a GO!
Thank you much for postin'!

Don,
If you haven't seen this it might interest you. If you char the heck out of it, you might find a wider than desired ring of well done meat. I've done a few like Larry Wolfe shows and they were really good. Just thought you might be interested if you hadn't seen his post.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
If you char the heck out of it, you might find a wider than desired ring of well done meat. I've done a few like Larry Wolfe shows and they were really good. Just thought you might be interested if you hadn't seen his post. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks, Dave. You're right and after reading Larry's post (again...can't believe I didn't look at it before this cook. That post made me want to try Pit Beef when I first read it a year ago) I know what I did wrong. I started the reverse sear when the internal reached 115...should have been much sooner, as Larry did at 105.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glenn W:
What temp device you using? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, Glenn. Do you mean what thermometer? If so, I used the ET-73 during the indirect part of the cook and then the Thermapen while searing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Baltimoron??!! Is that a real word??
icon_razz.gif

I gotta tell ya Don, I've never heard of a Pit Beef Sandwich or Pit Beef before... (I had to Google it to realize how lame I really am!)
I gotta get outta wisconsin a little more!
icon_biggrin.gif

Butt what you've done looks like GREAT food to me and something I'd DIVE into before the gun!
W0W! I am gonna give this a GO!
Thank you much for postin'! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, the Baltimoron reference is legit, unfortunately. One of the best around here is Chaps. They've been voted best for years now. It's good stuff. Usually, just charcoal grilled with no wood added. Quite delectable.
icon_smile.gif

Tried it! Used 2 app. 3lb top round roasts. Seasoned using the seasoning suggested by Larry Wolfe. No disrespect, but it wasn't for me. Tasted too much like taco seasoning. Perhaps I used too much of something.

The meat itself was cooked on Char-Grill side by side on the charcoal side. 1 chimney full of kingsford, off to the side. Meat to the right of coals, then some of the doctored beans Chris suggests next to that. Meat turned out great, super juicy. Went very well on the kaiser rolls and homemade horseradish sauce suggested on here.

Definitely something I would recommend. I'll try a different rub next time.

Thanks for the idea!!!

My guess is that it reminded you of taco seasoning primarily because of the cumin. The Steven Raichlen recipe that Don Cash linked to is the one I use and definitely doesn't have a taco flavor.

Brad

Thanks for the feedback Brad. I'm not too clear on what individual seasonings taste like, so I appreciate the guidance. As mentioned, the meat was awesome, just didn't like the seasoning.

Guess I'll just have to try again!!
icon_smile.gif

Did this again today for lunch. Used the same rub but cooked it indirect for 40 minutes (until it got to 105 internal), then direct as hot as I could get it until it was charred all over (and reached 125 internal).

Spectacular! Delicious! My Baltimoron friend says I still don't have it exactly like MPB but can't tell me why. We're planning a day trip to Maryland soon to have an authentic one so I can see the difference...I'm skeptical, I can't imagine it being better than this.

Rubbed and ready.

IMG_3243.jpg

After the rest and slicing. With our knives I still can't get it thin enough. I tried a food processor with the slicing blade on a small piece but it just shredded it. I cut the rest as thin as possible with my knife skills.

IMG_3249.jpg

Plated with some store bought pasta salad and chips.

IMG_3251.jpg

If authentic MPD is better than this, I gotta have it!!!

IMHO, your Baltimorean friend is being a bit cocky. I live in Baltimore, and although I love their pit beef sandwiches, folks around here are not used to real bbq. This is crab country. I could be wrong, but I never see them put a rub or anything on the meat they cook. Over at Chapps, all you see is them put just a huge piece of steer on the grill over a charcol flame. Maybe there is something on it (salt, pepper), but it's not noticeable.

Great job. I don't think you're missing much. Home cooked is always better anyway.

Another MoneyPlate!
Don, I'd eet dog food if it were in front of me and i knew you made it! <span class="ev_code_GREY">(compliment)</span>
Everything you make looks Wonderful!
Even the colourful plate is Groovy!
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Don Cash:
My Baltimoron friend says I still don't have it exactly like MPB but can't tell me why. We're planning a day trip to Maryland soon to have an authentic one so I can see the difference.
Don,
I almost guarantee you will come back from Baltimore liking yours more. Looks great. What cut did you use on this more recent cook? Any difference, in my never was in Baltimore opinion, might be the cut used, the seasoning, the slicing and the sandwich additions. Brilliant, huh? Is it typically served with a sauce in Baltimore? I sympathize with you on the slicing. Tough to get it real thin without a slicer. I like my fingers too much so I go with the knife. Who cares, tastes good. Nice job on both of these cooks.

Thanks, everyone!
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
What cut did you use on this more recent cook? Any difference, in my never was in Baltimore opinion, might be the cut used, the seasoning, the slicing and the sandwich additions. Brilliant, huh? Is it typically served with a sauce in Baltimore? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I used a top round roast (cooked an eye round last time) this time. This one was much more beefy...but it was also med-rare whereas the last one was med-well...so, there's that. My friend says (and as Darrell J. confirms) the cuts they cook for authentic MPB are much bigger and not rubbed...Who knows what the cut is, doubt it's chuck roll? But hey, I liked this...a lot!! As for the sauce, I made a horse radish sauce (mayo, horse radish, lemon juice, S&P) for these sammies. He usually puts just horse radish.

Originally posted by Don Cash:
My Baltimoron friend says I still don't have it exactly like MPB but can't tell me why. We're planning a day trip to Maryland soon to have an authentic one so I can see the difference.
Don,
I almost guarantee you will come back from Baltimore liking yours more. Looks great. What cut did you use on this more recent cook? Any difference, in my never was in Baltimore opinion, might be the cut used, the seasoning, the slicing and the sandwich additions. Brilliant, huh? Is it typically served with a sauce in Baltimore? I sympathize with you on the slicing. Tough to get it real thin without a slicer. I like my fingers too much so I go with the knife. Who cares, tastes good. Nice job on both of these cooks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most places around here serve sauce on the side. Usually Tiger Sauce is close by.

Back