First look at refurbing an older fella

Wally B

I'm looking to find my first gas grill to refurb. Though I don't know the models and years based on the nuances of trim, I like this redhead and I like that it has wooden decking screaming for attention. The price seems quite reasonable so if rust hasn't compromised the casting then I think I'll pull the trigger. Once I get it home, I will have lots of time to poke around and research the model. Until that time, I would like to ask if anyone (a) knows the approximate year / model and (b) can tell me how the stand is attached to the body. I only have a sedan to pick it up in (though it does have lots of room when the seat is folded down) and I do have lots of tarps. I have seen that they separate half-way up the legs. Do they also attach to the casting? What kind of fasteners would these be?

I promise that if I get this one on-board that I will research it more thoroughly on the forum before posting more questions. But, until such time as I behave, is there a general post for tools to acquire and use for refurbs or should I just look over all the refurb threads and get an answer that way?

Here's the grill in question, and thanks for your patience!

q.JPG

I promise that if I get this one on-board that I will research it more thoroughly on the forum before posting more questions. But, until such time as I behave, is there a general post for tools to acquire and use for refurbs or should I just look over all the refurb threads and get an answer that way? Here's the grill in question, and thanks for your patience!
Hi Wally, welcome to the forum. This is a very friendly forum, don't sweat it for a second asking a question that's been asked before. That's a fine redhead you got, there have been many here that have been restored to better than new. Diamond in the rough, but it's a diamond. Have fun!!!

From what I can see it looks like a 1000LX made from about the mid 90s to around 2000. Check and see if it has 13 flavorizer bars if it does it's a 1000. Beware those slates are not wood they are made from recycled plastic milk cartons.
Also from the hose that's a natural gas model.

Last edited:
Well that one fell through (for the want of a day to get to see it) but there are a couple to investigate. I'm hoping to get an older grill before the snow flies and people forget about selling old grills for a while. Thanks again, I'll be back...

Well, I found a GSB in very good shape. A good starter project...
q2.JPG

Grills are shot, warming grates are a few cooks from shot, but the flavorizer bars and tubes are in good shape.
q2interior.JPG

I see my first challenge and am looking for your help. There are two screws anchoring the end of the front & back tubes to the casting. I haven't had a chance to look at them up close but I can already hear them screaming for easy-outs. I'm sure that this has plagued other refurb projects, what's the best way of getting them out? I'm not sure what to replace them with as there doesn't seem to be at part described in the schematic at http://help.weber.com/schematics/browse.aspx?Model=2351009

A bit of rust on the frame to the left of the grill but there is still plenty of steel there. Thought you might enjoy a shot of a Canadian panel, with instructions in english et les instructions en français aussi.
q2control.JPG

If you're referring to the screws on the left side at the end of the burner tubes you don't need to mess with them the tube ends just slide underneath them. The tubes will just slide out when you take the manifold off.

Yep do not remove those screws just a hornets nest of trouble. Just remove the wing nut screws under the control panel holding the manifold in and slide everything out

And that one also looks like natural gas (not propane). Can't go wrong with a Genesis. Good luck.

Weber # 7525 ( porceloin coated steel)
Weber # 7526 ( porceloin inpregnated cast iron)
Weber # 7527 ( stainless steel )
Or aftermarket SS rod grates are available.
I've used all 3
Bought 7525 for my redhead , a sliver B I got came with 7526 & my s330 Genesis has SS rod.
I prefer the 7526, least favorite the SS rod.
The 7525 & 7526 are wide bars closely spaced , great for grilling seafood & veggies!
All 3 are available on eBay & amazon

If possible sand down to bare metal where rusted.
These paints work well, the black is semi gloss & matches the origional frame color well

D03CC2C1-1C5A-4D56-A2F9-0FD9E5AF9067.jpg

Thanks for all the updates and suggestions. I've bought the 7525 grill to get going with. I have a smaller cast iron grill (8x14) and can place that on the 7525 when I want to sear. Copper curly-kates seem to work best on the crap on the inside of the hood but I just used 00 steel wool on the outside.

A couple more questions for the group, if I may. I'm going to sandblast the three castings to get them clean, and then paint them. The rustoleum semi-gloss is on standby. The question with painting it is, did these GSB's come painted on the inside or was it just the outside? If they were only painted on the outside, where was the "demarcation" between plain and painted?

Thanks!

Wally, I think all you need to paint is the outside of the firebox, the outside of the hood end caps, and the frame. I used flat for the fire box and gloss for the frame and hood ends.

And now we're ready for paint. Sandblasting removes all previous sins.:)

2015-11-18 12.47.59.jpg

The casting does have a naturally rough surface so I'm thinking more matt than gloss for sure. I'm going to use the satin finish Rustoleum product first. If that is too shiny I have some tremclad flat-black to tone it down. The satin stuff looked great on the frame. I was tempted to just paint the whole frame rather than clean it.

Back