2 cups soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon tabasco

Brine the salmon for 12-24 hours

Smoke at 200-225 degrees to an internal temp of 150-165

Let it cool and enjoy

A couple of notes - some say that you shouldn't brine fish that long. You can definitely feel the texture change when you take it out of the brine, but I think it adds to the texture when done, makes it nice and flaky. Also, I don't pat it dry or anything, I just grab it and throw it on the rack. I usually use a fruit wood, either apple or cherry.

We let it cool down completely, then serve it with crackers (we use Club Crackers).

Its extremely popular, I have friends who request it as appetizers for parties. Even one friend who hates fish loves this salmon.

Quick update on this recipe. I make it pretty frequently, it is a real crowd favorite. My chef friend is even making YouTube videos now, we just filmed some footage where he features it. Buuuuuttt, there’s always that desire to test new things, so I decided to make a dip out of it.

Made a base out of Creme Fraiche, mayo, finely chopped red onions, capers and fresh dill. Once I got that right where I wanted it, added the salmon, which I crumbled and folded in gently to keep it chunky and add a layer of texture. Goes great on crackers or bagel chips (since it was loosely inspired by lox and bagels)

62EC242F-3356-4E85-949C-2EAAF1301072.jpeg

8A0E0063-875D-401E-8906-F739B16CE884.jpeg

Back