bad thermocoupler? change pit to other probe?

BZaub

Put together a 4.2 setup at the beginning of summer, using it on my Vision kamado. I've done probably 8-12 low and slow cooks, a 700deg pizza and countless 450-550 cooks. (It's so easy, I use it for pit temperature control when doing steaks, burgers, etc.)

The last time I did steaks, the pit probe (Auber Thermocoupler) got to about 300, then dropped down to 110. The fan was on at 100%, and when I checked the grill was about 600. I smoked bacon a week later and it held 195 for a few hours no problem.

I went to start a pork shoulder at 225 tonight. Started the fire, went for a short walk. When I got back the HeaterMeter was only reporting 93deg, up from an ambient 87. I figured the fire had burned out somehow, but when I went to open the grill the dome dial said 550. Sure enough, raging fire going, with the fan at 100% to try and get it up from "93".

So 2 questions.
1) Is there any way to test if the thermocoupler itself went bad? I would assume a soldering issue would have presented itself many cooks ago.
2) Can I tell the system to use Probe 1 to control pit temp instead of Probe 0? That way I can use a temp probe for this cook, until I can get a new thermocoupler.

Thanks,
Brian

If you disable Probe 0, Probe 1 will function as the pit probe instead... on later firmware versions. TBHY IDK what version this feature was included in, or if it is even in the release version of the firmware. but it is in the snapshot firmware....

Sounds like you might have melted the TC or it's cable? They are not all rated for super high temps, you'd have to check the specs for the temp range on the cable and thermocouple you are running....

Try another type k TC probe as a reference to see if it is the HM or the probe, a cheap backup type K TC probe can be had for really cheap on ebay or amazon...

Thanks Ralph!
I installed the latest snapshot, disabled the thermocoupler and everything is looking good.

I'll order a replacement TC and make sure I get a high temp one too

Back