Make Any BBQ Rub with the Rub Matrix

Interesting but I think you'd need to vary the quanities. I wouldn't want to put equal part of salt with some of the other items. I've kind of gone over to the other side--apply (some) salt first then apply my (no salt) rub next. That way, I can control my salt application and put as much or as little rub as needed without increasing the salt levels.

Thanks for the post! I've been a salt and pepper guy and I think that's fantastic but I've been wanting to experiment with rubs if not to just be able to say "Yeah, this is my secret spice blend...."

Thanks for sharing that Jeff.
There's currently a thread in 'barbecuing' about this guys TV series if anyone interested.

Being able to make your own good rubs is as nearly important as being able to BBQ good

Interesting but I think you'd need to vary the quanities. I wouldn't want to put equal part of salt with some of the other items. I've kind of gone over to the other side--apply (some) salt first then apply my (no salt) rub next. That way, I can control my salt application and put as much or as little rub as needed without increasing the salt levels.

Like that idea Len. I'm on a low salt diet and like making rubs so by putting the salt on first then the rub it's easier to control the flavor profile. Going to try that.

Last edited:
This was discussed some time ago. K Kruger adds his insights.
see: Basic Elements of Rub by Steve Petrone
(not sure how to add link perhaps someone could help)

This was discussed some time ago. K Kruger adds his insights.
see: Basic Elements of Rub by Steve Petrone
(not sure how to add link perhaps someone could help)

I couldn't find the reference where I read it and then forgot to note that Kevin had said it. Mea culpa.

====

Steve, go to the page that has the post you are referencing (ie Basic Elements). In the top "address" bar, tap it once to hilight the address--it starts

tvwbb.com/etc

Then hold your finger on the hilighted address till a window pops up. It'll give you options like select all and copy . Lift your finger (the addy will still be highlighted). Touch "copy".

Now, go to your new post, type what you want to say and add a couple of blank spaces. Then, touch and hold your finger in the blank area. Another bubble will pop up asking the same "cut copy or paste" question.

Touch "paste" and that link you copied from the source will paste into the blank area (it'll be highlighted as a link--different colour--once the new post is posted). Make sure there is only a blank space before the link starts and after it ends. Otherwise, it'll either not be "active" or it won't take you where you want to go when touched. Then submit your post.

Once it's "permanent" (posted), test the link by clicking on it. If it takes you where you want, you're done.

Last edited:
Ah yes. I was giving the instructions for doing it on my tablet (no mouse). Mobile is different from desktop. Glad you were able to put it all together ;)

Hi Jeff. Thanks for posting the rub link!

He does a great job of explaining the different parts in an easy to read format. I am with Len regardinng the salt issue. I make all my rubs without salt, and I put the salt on the meat the night before as a dry brine.

Back