Replacement Pi

Darren C.

TVWBB Pro
I built a HeaterMeter 4.1. I'm not positive which Pi I used. I think it's the B with 256MB Ram. It has Ethernet and 13 pairs of GPIO pins. Well, it seems to have bit the dust (spraying water on it tends to do that). However, the LinkMeter part seems to be okay because the LCD never quit displaying the temperature and the 4-way button continued to cycle through the HM options. But, I couldn't connect via wifi. After removing the Pi from the case, I couldn't get it boot up. So, I'm pretty sure the Pi is toast. I thought I read on the forums that the A+ was now supported. So, I picked one up (along with a Pi 2), thinking the A+ could use it as a replacement. However, I realized the GPIO pins are different. So, can the A+ pins be offset/aligned so that it can be used with my current LinkMeter? If not, what are my best options for moving forward?

If you plan on not using the pi for anything else, you can remove the unneeded pins from the A+. To make sure you remove the correct pins the side the USB connection is on are the one you don't cut off. The ones you do cut off are the pins that interfere with the speaker on the hm board

Or you can remove the buzzer and transistor that is in the way of the extra pins in the rPi header and solder them to the other side of the HM board, this way the pins on the rPi don't interfere with anything. Just make sure to re-orient the legs on the transistor so they end up in the same place. Basically you need to bend the center leg in the opposite direction before installing it on the other board. You probably know already that he A+ needs a microSD card so you'll have to replace that too...

Thanks for the tips. It may be a few days before I get the time to play with it. I will post back as soon as I have had a chance to mess with it, though. I'll probably post a picture before I make any hardware mods. Yeah Ralph, I noticed the SD card size change. But, I don't have a spare lying around. So, I'll have to pick one up.

Back