WiFi Adapter Not Working

Derek.O

So I am building HM number 2 and the first one is still going strong. Here is my dilemma with the new meter.

Ethernet works fine and webUI is able to be used without issue. I plug in the wifi adapter I bought and I am not able to get anything to connect.
If I swap the adapter to my original adapter things work fine and I can setup and join my SSID.

I bought both adapters from Amazon (re-ordered the same adapter from my previous orders).
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00MO8JL0G/tvwb-20

Upon close inspection I can see the new adapter has a slight gold color to the USB plug, which intrigued to me to dig deeper. I plug both into my Windows PC and dig into device details the older device bought in the spring of this year reads a 5730, the newer one bought August shows 7601. From google I am able to discern that this means I have two different internal chip sets.

My point needing help is: Is there a way to get this adapter to work? Or do I have to play roulette and hope on getting another adapter that works?
There are Linux drivers for this adapter I am just not Pi experienced or OpenWRT experienced enough to do this on my own.

If the chipset is not supported with the current LinkMeter build then it's pretty much DOA. Some people had been working on compiling their own versions of the software recently, I think to add more drivers, but it is not for the faint at heart.
It's not really russian roulette, the EDIMAX wifi dongle that is recommended pretty much works everytime....

Back