Stokerlog Version 6

Amir

TVWBB All-Star
NOTE: This version is obsolete. Please use and download version 7 from here: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?21889-Stokerlog-7-0-Release

Hello Everyone.

Edit: this is the thread on latest revision of Stokerlog. For those of you unfamiliar with the software, it is the control application for stoker which only comes with a web browser interface. Stokerlog adds many features including incredible ease of use capabilities, letting you fully manage and control your stoker from multiple PCs and other devices such as your phone. Here is a snapshot of the program. Stokerlog has a simulation mode so you can download and play with it even without owning a stoker!

749661303_WYsq5-XL.png

Features in this release are:
1. Bug fixes including "exception" faults with later revisions of stoker firmware.

2. Automatic retry on network connections lost. In addition to the obvious feature here, you can now turn off stoker when you open the lid and turn it back on. Stokerlog will then reconnect, eliminating the need to mess with "lid open" logic.

3. Timed Cooking. You can schedule a cook based on adjusting the temperature at different times. See Settings->Timed Cook. And then enable it on the main user interface.

4. Twitter. This was just added. Go to Settings->Twitter Settings... and put in your user name, password and interval for updates. Then on the main user interface, check "Enable Twitter" and you should be good to go! There is a test button to make sure everything works in the settings dialog and status updates show up every time one is sent.

5. Removed crashing bug for Windows 7 so that you no longer have to run as administrator.

Messages are similar to Mail updates. Open to making them better with feedback.

Note: as with all passwords, they are stored in the clear in your PC. I will at some point add encryption. But for now, be sure to create test accounts and not your main account.

This current release is quite stable and is the preferred version of Stokerlog for everyone: http://madronadigital.com/Downloads/SetupV67.msi

Note: Windows 7 users MUST change the permissions for the program after installation to be that of Administrator. Otherwise, the program will crash.

Note 2: Google Chrome complains the updated download link above is "malicious." It is not of course. Google marks things this way apparently when a link to an executable is new. As more people download the program, it should not complain anymore. Likewise, IE also warns you to not run it but again, it is not warranted in this case.

Last edited:
Hello Amir,

Im using for the second time tonight. The only fearure I have tried so far has been the shut off feature,it works good.I'm doing a brisket and on those I just set 225 and that's it until it's done.Maybe I will test the time temp feature tonight with the btisket , maybe jump 10 degrees for an hour.
Thanks for the great program.

We'll give it a run this weekend Amir. Looks like great additions, thx.

Does the new version install over the top of ver 5? Or should we un-install the old version first?

EDIT: Tried to install over the top. Was prompted to un-install old version and install ver. 6

Just playing with it inside the house. I dont seem to be able to change the twitter interval time/seconds.
It is set at 30, if I change it to 60 and hit done. When I open the settings again it is back to 30 sec intervals.

The reconnection works fast. Very nice!

I'm about to put V6 to the test. I updated the Stoker to firmware v 2.6.0.249 and have StokerLog running.

I'll be doing a 7-10 hr. jerky smoke so the only probe I'll be using is the pit probe. Target temps will be 170 deg F.

The link for anyone interested is...

http://twitter.com/StokerStatus

Hey Joe where in Pittsburgh are you? I'm in Forest Hills.

Just to clarify, you don't need new firmware for stokerlog to do everything stated here. The Twitter functionality for example, is entirely in stokerog and not coming from stoker itself. I am actually testing it on 2-year old stoker with original firmware.

Thanks Amir.

I guess I too should clarify. I have been running an earlier beta of the firmware that caused the exception error. I upgraded the firmware to eliminate the error. I disabled twitter Stoker side and am solely using the twitter function in StokerLog.

So far everything appears to be running very smoothly. I just wish it were warmer out as it's taking FOREVER to get all this steel up to temp.

Minor suggestion – Can the tweet show what we have renamed the probes to?
i.e. rather than Fire Current/Target =69.5/51. It would say Kingfisher Current/Target =69.5/51. (I have renamed my pit probe to Kingfisher on the stoker side.)

Sorry Amir, I clicked OK too fast. FWIW it's the only one I experienced and the cook is still going. I'll be sure to get the details if it happens again.

Also, StokerLog hung one time after a power cycle. However, the Stoker also hung after being power cycled and had to be power cycled again. Other than that I've power cycled the Stoker at least a half dozen times and StokerLog has always picked right back up where it left off.

Question: what did have turned on when you got the exception? Twitter? Timed Cook? Trying to see if this is a new bug or old.

On the second, I have to look to see if there is any way it would stop retrying forever to connect to a dead stoker.

Originally posted by Amir:
Question: what did have turned on when you got the exception? Twitter? Timed Cook? Trying to see if this is a new bug or old.

On the second, I have to look to see if there is any way it would stop retrying forever to connect to a dead stoker.

I only had twitter enabled when the exception occurred. I guess if I were a little faster on my feet I would have done the cook as a timed cook to help test that functionality as well. I only received one exception the entire cook, in the recent past I received multiple exceptions per cook that is why I updated the firmware so for me one exception error is an improvement.

I believe the dead Stoker issue isn't too unusual as I have had the problem since day one. Sometimes it hangs at bootup, the square blocks on the screen, and the fan just keeps running. I guess I need to learn to wait for the Stoker to fully boot before I walk away.

Originally posted by Amir:

Good question because we no longer have an alarm if the stoker loses power or what not.

OK, two bug fixes:

1. Not remembering twitter interval.

2. Include the fire probe name in logs. I also cleaned up the formatting a bit for twitter.

Also fine tuned the user interface a bit.

Download link is in the first post (same name but updated).

Amir,

I'll be doing more jerky tomorrow. This time I'll use the timed cook function to try it out. Is there anything else you want me to check out? The cook will be another 7 - 8 hr cook at 170 deg.

That would be good.

While you are waiting for the cook, fire up stoker, and let it run in simulation mode against that feature. That way, if there is an issue we catch it earlier
icon_smile.gif

The main concern I have left is the Exception. I suspect that is a bug in stoker firmware still, sending out something that is new and different. I can put a blind hack in there to completely ignore such things but I really like to understand and fix it.

Amir,
I'm running Version 2.6.0.249 of the Stoker and the latest/build release of Stoker log. I've been smoking some corned beef, using Stokerlog. At least 4x throughout the last 3 hours, i've gotten the exception that I pasted below. i have also gotten 'invalid telnet stream' in the stoker log status box a couple of times.
I do have the twitter suppport in Stoker log turned on. Other than that, I'm just using 1 grate probe and 1 meat probe. Let me know if there's anything else that I can provide.

Mark
www.twitter.com/marksegg

<b>Start Dump</b>
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.InvalidCastException: Conversion from string ":" to type 'Integer' is not valid. ---> System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ParseDouble(String Value, NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ToInteger(String Value)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Symbols.Container.InvokeMethod(Method TargetProcedure, Object[] Arguments, Boolean[] CopyBack, BindingFlags Flags)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateGet(Object Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean[] CopyBack)
at StokerLog.StokerLog.Timer1_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3603 (GDR.050727-3600)
CodeBase: file:///c:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
StokerLog
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/AmirM%20Software/StokerLog/StokerLog.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
ZedGraph
Assembly Version: 5.0.7.40149
Win32 Version: 5.0.7.40149
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/AmirM%20Software/StokerLog/ZedGraph.DLL
AxInterop.WMPLib
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/AmirM%20Software/StokerLog/AxInterop.WMPLib.DLL
Interop.WMPLib
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/AmirM%20Software/StokerLog/Interop.WMPLib.DLL
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Web
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/System.Web/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Web.dll
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Back