Mod's for 14.5 WSM?

I bought another charcoal grate, wired it crosswise to the original in order to hold smaller pieces of lump.
That's all I'll do to it, well maybe a probe wire notch later once the newness wears off.
Oh, and I removed the heat shield from inside.

I bought a lid hinge and a gasket kit, but haven't put them on yet. Don't think I really need a gasket for the door, it didn't not leak, but my lid sure did.

And I may remove the heat shield. Noticed on my first 9 hour smoke, I was running out of ash room at the bottom.

Has anyone founf a good alternative to the stock water pan? I want to raise my charcoal grate up but already have problems with the bowl hitting the coals if i pile them up.

What i would really like to do is find a shallow pan and make a Piedmont Pan setup for it. I like how it works in my 18.5

Added an extra vent for high heat cooks and a Cajun Bandit door. Love the door. Think I'll remove the heat deflector inside like the others.

I just ordered the hinge and gasket kit, looking forward to that. I also used the little j-bolts to hold the heat shield to the legs. Recently did some chicken without the water pan in, sure was tasty.

JGarvey - did you put anything between the coals and the meat when you removed he water pan?

I am thinking about using a pyrex pie pan for this, maybe throw a few rocks in it for heat mass.

The hinge is dreamy -BTW. the my side door leaked like a b*Tch, so much better. didnt see the need to seal the top - its nearly air tight as is. both are killer mods.

AND - the partyq was worth every penny and then some! did a 14 hour pork butt cook on its maiden try. no problem had to add coals about 8 hours in because i was worried about the length of time it was taking. but it kept temp the whole time

Last edited:
Added an extra vent for high heat cooks and a Cajun Bandit door. Love the door. Think I'll remove the heat deflector inside like the others.

Man, mine gets pretty hot, as is. I can't imagine how hot it would get with an extra vent, lol. The seasoning scale is already peeling.

Dave - Thanks for the heads up, cant wait for the items to arrive. I didn't put anything in for a deflector, just let everything drip on the coals. I was trying the hot and fast chicken method. My door doesn't seem to leak as of now, I've only used the 14.5" three times now..but around the lid it does leak some. I'm sure a partyq will be in my future, but for now I'm trying to learn the ropes as best I can and soak up as much info on here as I can.

JGarvey - did you put anything between the coals and the meat when you removed he water pan?

I am thinking about using a pyrex pie pan for this, maybe throw a few rocks in it for heat mass.

The hinge is dreamy -BTW. the my side door leaked like a b*Tch, so much better. didnt see the need to seal the top - its nearly air tight as is. both are killer mods.

AND - the partyq was worth every penny and then some! did a 14 hour pork butt cook on its maiden try. no problem had to add coals about 8 hours in because i was worried about the length of time it was taking. but it kept temp the whole time

Pyrex get dead, I bet.

Back